Recently, I have gotten serious about losing some weight.
It's not that I feel like I am obese or anything, but I do realize that I have a few pounds I could lose. I have some poor genetics on my dad's side, and I know I need to be careful about my weight. My dad was a very thin guy his entire life, but in his mid-twenties, he began gaining maybe five pounds or so pounds a year. I really want to nip this problem now while I can. I've learned from my dad's experience that five pounds here and there really does add up, and I don't want to let that happen to me.
Also, I knew that I was not leading as healthy a lifestyle as I could be. I adore sweets, and I snacked late at night when I was up with schoolwork. I also wasn't exercising much at all sans Ellie's daily walks around the neighborhood. There needed to be some serious changes made!
I told my mom how I was having a difficult time getting started, and she told me she'd think of something to get me motivated. She then asked me how much I wanted to lose, and when I told her twenty pounds, she said how she would buy me this gorgeous Kate Spade handbag I've been lusting after and keep it for me until I reached my goal. Pretty awesome, huh??
Over the past few weeks, I have made working out a priority every single day and tried my best to limit myself to a 1200 calorie/day diet (It's more calories than you'd think!). So far, I am down eight pounds, but it is truly a struggle every day. It's difficult to watch my mom and brothers (all three of them are in amazing shape) eat such delicious foods and not gain a pound while I'm eating a tangerine and hoping I can maintain a healthy weight. Lame.
This weight loss experience is teaching me so much about myself and definitely teaching me some important life lessons. For example, yesterday I got on the scale and had gained back 1.5 pounds despite having worked out the hardest yet the day before. I was devastated, but my dad told me that sometimes happens and that I couldn't quit now. I'm glad I didn't gorge myself or skip exercising yesterday in discouragement because when I woke up today, I was down again. Hooray! Result!
I can't wait until I can report my first ten pounds lost!
Only twelve more until I am united with my beautiful bag :)
always remember- muscle weighs more than fat too!! good luck girl!
ReplyDeleteYou can do it! You just have to find the right mix of food and exercise that works for your body! I'm shooting to lose about 10-15 myself and it's been hard staying on track but it can be done! We just have to be strong girly! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the motivation girls! :)
ReplyDeleteAnd Brandi- it is nice to know I'm not in this boat alone!
Oh my gosh, what a great idea to have the bag as a reward! That would definitely motivate me, too! I have been wanting to drop a few extra pounds, too. Thanks for inspiring me! Keep up the great work...don't give up! It will all be worth it in the end!!
ReplyDeleteYou go, girl! That is so awesome! I can't wait until you reach your goal!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh I could have written this post. I've struggled with this issue my entire life and decided over break to really work on getting healthier again so here goes nothing! haha. How neat of your Mom to help get you motivated- I can't wait to see your bag! You go girl! :)
ReplyDelete