Tuesday, April 26, 2011

There are two kinds of people in this world...

…royal wedding lovers and royal wedding haters.

I am (proudly) a member of the former group and am habitually accosted with questions such as, “Why do you even care? What’s the big deal? Do you not have a life?”

Well, royal wedding haters out there, I can answer all of your questions.

Why do I, a 21-year-old English major living in Cincinnati, Ohio, care about a wedding taking place across the world between two people I do not know?

I actually have three reasons for that one.

The most obvious is that I fit that stereotype of the little girl dreaming of becoming a princess. I eagerly took part in board games such as “Pretty, Pretty Princess” (the purple jewelry was always mine; don’t ever try to assign me the green kind), and when I played Barbies, they were always princesses of respective countries (I was neither geographically nor politically advanced at a young age. I probably just used England, France, and America). I read books about princesses, and I hosted princess tea parties. I believed that being a princess was one of the most magical things in the world.

The second reason is that this is a major historical event. I am a big believer in taking interest and being educated on world events. I cannot stand it when people are only concerned with their respective city, state, or nation. A royal wedding does not take place everyday, you royal wedding haters! This is big!

Finally, I care about the royal wedding because I am a hopeless romantic. I am that creepy girl who looks through bridal magazines and who watches countless hours of “Say Yes to the Dress” and “A Wedding Story” (Remember that show on TLC? They haven’t shown it in years. Meh!) and will cry every time. The fact that Kate Middelton will become a princess following her “I do” only makes the royal wedding that much more romantic.

So royal wedding haters, I hope you can see just what is the big deal here from my reasons for caring.

If not, you possibly have no soul.

Oh, and as for the third question, I’m not entirely sure.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! so clever and well written! I am also a member of the royal wedding lovers for many of the same reasons as you! We could have easily played Pretty, Pretty Princess together growing up - I was happily green most times! hehe. And I am a hopeless, hopeless romantic! And I'm okay with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHA jenna i love you and this post. i'm so proud to be a royal wedding lover as well. i'm so glad that we both watch countless hours of say yes to the dress (and can start telling a story about one of the episodes and right away the other one of us knows exactly what episode we're talking about) Lastly, I totally agree with the historical event thing. My mom asked why I was going to get up and watch it and I told her that this is history in the making! This doesn't happen too often!

    ReplyDelete

Merci beaucoup for your comments! I always love to read through them!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.