As in Queen of Procrastination Nation.
I would pull all-nighters constantly.
My sophomore year of high school, I read a 700 page book and wrote a paper on it in one mere night. And that paper received an A. It was my very first all-nighter and quite a stellar performance by such a rookie. My mom wasn't very proud (as she should have been). I believe her words to me were, "You're going to make yourself sick." Something like that.
Senior year, I had an ominous end of the year paper due called "The Asian Literature Project." It still sends chills up my spine. The Asian Lit project consisted of reading a number of novels, poetry, etc of Asian literature and then writing a 50 PAGE PAPER. Shout-out to Mandy over at A Northern Girl With a Southern State of Mind who also survived this feat. While I did not get any sleep for the better part of a week, I did complete that paper. And I did get an A.
I was slowly making my way up the ranks of procrastination royalty.
My sophomore year of high school, I read a 700 page book and wrote a paper on it in one mere night. And that paper received an A. It was my very first all-nighter and quite a stellar performance by such a rookie. My mom wasn't very proud (as she should have been). I believe her words to me were, "You're going to make yourself sick." Something like that.
Senior year, I had an ominous end of the year paper due called "The Asian Literature Project." It still sends chills up my spine. The Asian Lit project consisted of reading a number of novels, poetry, etc of Asian literature and then writing a 50 PAGE PAPER. Shout-out to Mandy over at A Northern Girl With a Southern State of Mind who also survived this feat. While I did not get any sleep for the better part of a week, I did complete that paper. And I did get an A.
I was slowly making my way up the ranks of procrastination royalty.
During my freshman year of college, I stayed up an entire night reading and writing but when I had finished all of my work early at 5AM, I decided that instead of going to sleep for a few hours, I would go swim a few laps at the campus rec pool instead.
I was just that good.
But now? I am sad to report that I've lost my touch. It's not that I can't whip up a good paper in a small amount of time and still get a nice grade (All English majors can do that. If we couldn't, we wouldn't survive). It's that I can no longer stay awake the entire night as I used to.
2AM will come along, and I will really be feeling the fatigue. I drink a can of Diet Coke Lime. I awkwardly sing along and jam-out to a Glee song. Or maybe some invigorating Broadway tune.
But these things don't work.
I think, "I cannot go on. Leave me behind, fellow procrastinators of the universe." So then I have to sleep for two hours and set my alarm for 4AM so I can complete all of my schoolwork (which is really quite horrible).
But these things don't work.
I think, "I cannot go on. Leave me behind, fellow procrastinators of the universe." So then I have to sleep for two hours and set my alarm for 4AM so I can complete all of my schoolwork (which is really quite horrible).
Being able to pull all-nighters was my most powerful strength in my procrastinating abilities. And now I've lost it.
I am no longer the Queen of Procrastination Nation. I think I'm just a peasant.
![]() |
| This is from my freshman year of college. My roommate and I would make "study forts" for our all-nighters (because that made it a billion times more fun, you know?). She was a procrastination legend. |

Oh I was totally the same way. Just wait until you graduate, and it gets to be 11 pm and you're tired. You'll wonder what happened to you.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh - this post amazed me! I've never pulled an all nighter- and that's not for lack of trying. Wow. Just thinking about all you've accomplished during the wee hours of the night is making me tired! haha. And I love the "study fort"- very clever!
ReplyDeleteThe "Study Fort" looks so fun!! :)
ReplyDeleteBLAHHH the asian lit project!!! It nearly killed me. Thank God for facebook chat so we could complain instead of being productive.
ReplyDeleteHahaha this is hilarious! Mostly because I can relate perfectly! I am such a has-been! Staying up was never difficult--sure I'd be tired the next day, but I found some hidden energy deep inside. But now? Midnight seems late to me. I feel like a granny, haha.
ReplyDelete