Thursday, April 28, 2011

I have a poem to share. And I promise it's not boring.

Until recently (as in the last two weeks), I have been a skeptic when it comes to poetry.

I've always found poetry difficult to understand, and poem explications left me feeling lost and frustrated.

But now, I've seen the light.
Ellie during a poetry reading.
Okay, actually this is from when I attempted to dress her up as Harry Potter.

This light was shining from the brilliant Romantic poet William Wordsworth. I've read Wordsworth before, but I've never had a professor who read his poetry so beautifully or who explained his work so well. 

"She dwelt among the untrodden ways"
She dwelt among the untrodden ways
Beside the springs of Dove,
A Maid whom there were none to praise
And very few to love.

A Violet by a mossy stone
Half-hidden from the Eye!
---Fair, as a star, when only one
Is shining in the sky!

She lived unknown, and few could know
When Lucy ceased to be;
But she is in her Grave, and, Oh!
The difference to me.

Are you crying yet? Because I am.

I have one more poem to share with you that has lead to my reform from a poetry hater to a poetry appreciate-or. 

This one is by a relatively more modern poet, an African-American woman named Lucille Clifton.

"Homage to My Hips"
these hips are big hips.
they need space to
move around in.
they don't fit into little
petty places, these hips
are free hips.
they don't like to be held back.
these hips have never been enslaved,
they go where they want to go
they do what they want to do.
these hips are mighty hips.
these hips are magic hips.
i have known them
to put a spell on a man and
spin him like a top.

I LOVE THAT POEM. 

After hearing it today, I feel like I strutted around campus with my hips.

Oh, yes.

5 comments:

  1. aww thanks for sharing. Like you, I have also found poetry semi hard to understand, and kinda...boring. But these were beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and the hips one made me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the picture of Ellie- TOO CUTE. And I kinda like poetry, I'm not good at interpreting it or anything, but I feel like its so romantic. Are you familiar with Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery? That's one of my favorite books ever and that girl is so over the top about poetry, and puts on all these performances while reciting it and such- I got to play the part of Anne in a community theater performance when I was younger and had so much fun reciting "Lady of Shalott." (I can just picture her reciting Wordsworths- beautiful!) I also have a pretty anthology of poems collected by Jackie Kennedy that is my favorite! Whew. Thanks for sharing your take on poetry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellie is so cute! My dog looks really similar to yours! Thank you for sharing the poem. I have been reading some poetry too. One of my friends let me borrow a poetry book with mostly Rumi poems. I am new to liking poetry too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the poems!

    Ellie is so cute! I'm loving the glasses! Lol!

    ReplyDelete

Merci beaucoup for your comments! I always love to read through them!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.