Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Wednesday Weigh-In

Whew! Wednesday Weigh-In is back and sorry for its absence.

I used to always get annoyed when people would tell me, "It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle."

I wanted to shout back, "YES IT IS A DIET WHEN I FEEL DEPRIVED AND CANNOT EAT CHOCOLATE WHENEVER I WANT! ARGHHHH!"

Of course, I never yelled that. Especially not that "Argh." How unladylike! And awkward.

But now, I have to admit...I no longer feel like I am on a diet. Instead, I truly just feel like I'm living a healthier lifestyle.
I may or may not be eating chocolate icing right now.
Okay. I totally am.
Exercise and eating better foods have become part of my daily routine. I no longer feel guilty when I indulge in a cupcake or eat after dinner (not eating after supper is probably my best advice for losing weight. It really helps).

I get this "lifestyle not diet" mentality now, but I think I'd like to rephrase it.

Losing weight begins as a diet. At first, you DO feel deprived and bitter that you're missing out on your favorite foods and can no longer veg out on the couch all day (um, not that I ever did that). But then, healthy eating and exercise just become part of normal life, and you get to a point where you accept that and also know when it's okay to indulge in high-cal food or skip a day (or two) of exercise.

Does that make any sense?

Hopefully it does.

Weight today: 136.5

38 pounds down and only TWO MORE to go!

10 comments:

  1. You go girl! For health reasons, I have to avoid red-meats...I cannot tell you how DIFFICULT it can be sometimes, but I totally get how you feel when you can't eat your favourite foods...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post, congrats on all of your success so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats girl! You look beautiful in your picture - love the chocolate icing. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes totally sense to me! I´ve never been a fan of depriving myself of something (I love the chocolate too much, so it´ll never work! :) The funny thing is, that I hated working out before, but one day my back pains and migraines got too bad, and I felt I needed to do something about it. So I started to exercise at home (and I love my stationery bike, cause I can READ while pedaling! the best thing ever :), and I´ve got completely addicted! I feel I´m a better version of myself when I work out, I have more energy, and my headaches have been less strong. So, what I´m trying to say with this ginormous comment is: it´s important that you feel your best, and the weigh loss will follow :)
    Congrats on your success, and fingers crossed for the last two pounds!

    xx Ivana
    Style in the City

    ReplyDelete
  5. jenna, that's awesome! only 2 pounds to go! YAY!

    i need to remember that it starts out really hard. i get so frustrated when i'm not seeing results right away... i need to remember to give it time.

    and about eating icing - that's one of my favorite guilty pleasures! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um, you have no idea how much I needed to hear this today. I am also NOT a fan of the "it's a lifestyle" talk, but it's something I definitely need to do, because my baby steps into a healthier lifestyle are not doing anything, and I need to jump in and get to the point where I am not bitter about it! You make total sense, and I really enjoyed your perspective! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaaah two more! So proud of you! And I try to be healthy 90% of the time and never feel guilty for the other 10% hah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I TOTALLY agree! When I first started losing all the weight I gained when I had my baby I had to be a lot stricter with myself. Now I can still have dessert every day, just not SEVERAL desserts! (Which I would do if I could! hehe) We weigh almost the same and both want to lose two more pounds, how cool is that! Following now!
    -Val

    ReplyDelete
  9. congrats girl... what an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are awesome! Congrats!!! Such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Merci beaucoup for your comments! I always love to read through them!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.