He suggested a few things that were neither interesting nor different so I opened up the newspaper and began searching for events going on around Cincinnati.
One of them finally caught my eye.
It was a free concert taking place in a park that overlooks Cincinnati from the Kentucky side. The Kentucky Symphony Orchestra would be playing Civil War music with re-enactors performing at the same time.
I know- sooo weird. Yet also sooo different!
Jordan's response was, "Well...okaaayyy...."
Yesterday evening, my mom asked what time Jordan was picking me up.
"It doesn't start until 7:30 so we figured if we leave here by 6:45, that will give us plenty of time."
"Are you sure about that? It will probably be really crowded," she had replied.
Why would a Civil War themed symphony concert be crowded???
So I packed us a picnic basket (AKA my Longchamp) and a cooler, and we set off for the park.
As we were driving up the winding, hilly roads of the park, we began noticing all of these cars parked along the side of the road.
"These can't all be for the concert," I said. "It's probably a family reunion or something. Keep driving."
And then, bloggers, we drove past the actual concert venue, which was insanely crowded with people sitting and scattered all over this giant hill in front of a stage.
It was like Woodstock. Kentucky Symphony Orchestra edition.
We had to turn around because there was literally NO WHERE to park, and we ended up bringing our picnic to another park and enjoying it with a river view instead of Civil War music.
Which is honestly probably a lot more enjoyable.
We ate gouda (WE LOVE GOUDA!), sourdough bread (which turned out to taste horrible), guacamole and chips, peaches, pears, peanuts, candy bars, and Vitamin Water.
| See that couple behind me? They played chess the entire time we were there. It was so adorable. |
What a fun thing to do when you wanted to do something different! I was just talking to Mr. C about that this morning, so we're discussing mini-road trips for this afternoon!
ReplyDeletehaha, that is too funny! can't believe all those people showed up for Civil War music! Who wouldve thought?! P.S. eating my lunch right now which is a super blah salad, and i'm sooo craving gouda now because of you! haha!
ReplyDeleteThat is soo crazy! I'm glad you guys made the best of the night, even with the change in plans. A picnic sounds soo fun- Jake and I were going to go on one this weekend, but it rained! :( So now we'll have to wait til the fall. I am so with you on coming up with "something different" type dates too! :)
ReplyDeletehaha love this! Civil War things people get really into it! I live in Oregon and there is a reenactment every year! Oregon wasn't even a state during the war haha!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had a great night besides the change in plans! You and Jordan looks so cute together. :) Me and Bill are having a picnic tomorrow-it's the perfect summer date!
ReplyDelete