Saturday, February 5, 2011

Movies to watch on a snowy night

This morning when I woke up for work, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was just beginning to snow! Luckily, my dad drove me to work because the roads were already getting slick (We saw one car slide off the road completely!), and it was just nice to be able to watch the snow while working today. It even started to rain for a while, and that was also pretty to watch. Anyway, while I was at work I was thinking about how tonight would be the perfect weather to watch a good movie, which naturally got me to thinking about my favorite movies of all time...
1. "The Sound of Music"- What a timeless movie! I absolutely love this film. It has such a strong plot incorporating motherless children, Nazis, and a romance between a nun-to-be and an engaged military commander. Pretty scandalous stuff! Julie Andrews is lovely. The music is beautiful, and the children are adorable. I cannot say enough good things about this movie. 

2."Bridget Jones' Diary" (both the first and second- equally good in my opinion)- I actually have a poster of the image above in my room I love Bridget Jones so dearly. This movie always puts me in a great mood and makes me laugh. It has an incredible cast (I thought Renée Zellweger was British for years, and Colin Firth? Always a plus), it's just a really fun and romantic movie. Favorite line? "I'd finally die, fat and alone, and be found three weeks later half-eaten by wild wolves."

3. "Dangerous Beauty"- This movie isn't very well-known, but it is sooooo good! One of my roommates freshman year recommended it to me. It is about Veronica Franco, the Venetian courtesan. This movie is so romantic and VERY feminist, which is surprising considering it is about a courtesan. If you went to a Catholic girls school that hammered feminist principles into your head or you enjoy movies about empowering women- this is your film!

4. "Angus, Thongs, and Perfect Snogging"- This movie is such a hidden gem. It is based off the British book series, "Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging," which is geared more towards pre-teens, teenagers. Even if this movie if meant for a younger crowd, I still LOVE it!! It is funnier than I can even describe, and it has a cute story line. It was actually called a younger Bridget Jones in one review (Daily Mirror)- that's probably why I love it so much. They use such cool lingo in this movie, too. You'll be calling people "mingers" and "fitties" soon after!

5. "While You Were Sleeping"- This is a movie my mom and I used to watch when I was little, and I still love it today. Sandra Bullock plays a CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) token taker (which shows you how dated this movie is, Hi 1990s!!!) who is crushing on this businessman who passes through her station each morning. This movie takes place in Chicago during Christmastime, and it's just a very sweet, heartwarming, and romantic movie. 

6. "It's Complicated"- AWESOME movie!!! I love this cast (Meryl Streep, Steve Martin, John Krasinski), and the plot is just hilarious. I also loved the beautiful setting. I thought this movie was extremely well-done. I always enjoy watching it, and it's made it way up in my clearly prestigious list of favorite films. 


7. "Love Actually"- I saved my absolute favorite movie for last. Wow, where do I even begin with "Love Actually" ?? Obviously, it has a brilliant cast. Colin Firth, Laura Linney, Liam Neeson, and Emma Thompson are just a handful of my favorites in this film. I adore the fact that the movie takes place in London leading up to Christmas, and I just really love watching all of the different love stories work themselves out. "Love Actually" has a wonderful soundtrack, too. I could watch this movie any time of the year, and it makes me VERY (!) happy whenever I do.

Sooo...clearly I am a bit genre specific in my tastes, but oh well... I'll admit, I am not a huge fan of action movies, and I CANNOT do horror, but I like to dab into other genres now and then. Hope you get to snuggle up tonight and enjoy a good movie!!! :)

5 comments:

  1. Omg you and that dangerous beauty movie!! I've never heard of the angus movie. Do you own either of them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I own both!! I'll have to force you to borrow & watch them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to borrow Dangerous Beauty sometime???. Great movie choices:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. by the way this is amy. don't know why i can't have my name in????? weird!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMY!!!! :) I will bring Dangerous Beauty to work Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Merci beaucoup for your comments! I always love to read through them!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.