I absolutely loved my International Businesses classes when I was learning about the EU or Global Business Environments, but these past few quarters I've had to fight my way through Business Statistics. Also known as really hard math. Especially for those who are not mathematically-inclined.
My stats class last quarter was nice in that our grade consisted of four homework assignments and three exams. I felt like I was able to relax during class and attempt to soak the material in.
This quarter is a dramatically different story.
My class is in a two-hundred person lecture hall (something I am very unaccustomed to as an English major), and I do not know a single fellow classmate. My professor does something called "cold call," where he will randomly call on people during class to answer questions.
Last class (our first one of the quarter), he was already asking questions from the previous quarter's material.
I literally sat in my seat wanting to cry or throw up. I was so nervous!
I don't think it would be so bad if he randomly called on me in a twenty or even fifty person class, but the thought of shouting out an answer (that is likely wrong) in front of two-hundred people makes my stomach flip.
![]() |
| Here is me (if I was a boy) trying to answer a stats question. |
Besides his cruel "cold call" method, he also is basing our final grade on tests, assignments, ten (!!!!) pop quizzes, case studies, and group projects (groups chosen by ourselves).
Um, remember the fact that I do not know a single other person in this class? That should make group projects REALLY wonderful.
Please pray for me.
Update: Class was much better today. I wore my smart glasses and got a Starbuck's Java Chip frappucino on the way to class. I sat in the second row in the auditorium (so if I was called on, I would not have to shout the answer), and I even acquired TWO GROUP MEMBERS!
Morale is back up!
Update: Class was much better today. I wore my smart glasses and got a Starbuck's Java Chip frappucino on the way to class. I sat in the second row in the auditorium (so if I was called on, I would not have to shout the answer), and I even acquired TWO GROUP MEMBERS!
Morale is back up!

Good luck! You will make it through, it is only one class :) Make sure Tuesdays and Thursdays are good outfit days. That will make you feel more confident if you get called on.
ReplyDelete"Cold Calls" make me so nervous- I feel your pain!! But I am happy to read the update and hear things are going better- I hope that continues! :)
ReplyDeleteI also have to find a group in a class I know no one this semester, why do they do that to us! haha