I'm practically a seasoned veteran of the hair industry.
![]() |
| Sorry. I couldn't resist. |
During this time, I've learned quite a bit about approproiate salon etiquette.
Curious? I will now bestow this acquired wisdom upon you.
1. Do not be late to your appointment. Seriously. Not even five to ten minutes. It totally messes up your stylist's schedule and will probably make her late for her other appointments. Services are blocked out very precisely and even a five minute variation can really knock things out of sync.
2. If you are going to be late, call the salon and let them know.
3. When calling the salon to inform them that you will be late, do not lie about your expected arrival time. Do not say you will be there in ten minutes when you're in fact lying in bed and a good thirty minutes away from making it to the salon. Not good.
4. Book your appointments in advance, especially if you have a special occasion that you're planning on having your hair styled for. Calling on a Saturday afternoon and expecting to get in for a color and cut before the day's end is rarely successful. You have a better chance of running into Prince William at your local Starbuck's or being cast in the next episode of Glee.
5. If you do decide to try to get in last minute, just be aware that it will be tough to get in with your preferred stylist and try not be too sassy with the front desk person if she says the salon is completely booked. We cannot help the fact that all of the day's appointments have been taken, and we are not plotting against you and the beauty of your hair. Really. It isn't personal.
6. When calling to make an appointment, make the appointment through the front desk person. That's our job! Do not ask for your stylist to get on the phone in order to make an appointment. That is not her job. She is not going to reveal any secret appointments. I promise we front desk people are not hiding appointment times from you! Your stylist will just listen politely and then ask the receptionist to make the actual appointment. Unnecessary steps, you know?
7. If you call a salon and get the answering machine, leave a message. Do not hang up and call on repeat. The recepionist is either on all available lines or dealing with a matter that makes her or him unable to answer the phone. Calling excessively will not get you connected to the front desk person any sooner. Just leave a message, and he or she will call you back as soon as possible.
8. When checking out at the front desk, do not take or make a phone call unless it's an urgent matter. The front desk person will feel awkward standing there and staring at you as you chat away to your best friend about where you plan on having dinner that night. I just want you to pay for your services and maybe make a followup appointment. I'll work quickly so you can call your best friend ASAP.
9. Also while checking out, if there are one or more clients waiting behind you, it is polite to refrain from scheduling the remainder of your year's appointments. Make the next one and call back later for the others, or simply step out of line until the other clients have checked out before making the next twelve months' worth of appointments. Common courtesy.
10. When you call the salon, remember that it is often extremely loud on the receptionist's end. There are multiple hair dryers going and dozens of women talking. It's hard to hear so speak up and don't be offended if the front desk person asks you to repeat yourself. She's listening to you- I promise! It's just difficult to hear most of the time.
11. Do not be late to your appointment. Did I already mention that one? Why, yes! I did. It's just that important.

Oh gosh. All your points should be common sense, but people can be so crazy sometimes, especially when it's concerning their hair. I'll bet you've got some great stories when you get home from work!
ReplyDelete