Tuesday, August 23, 2011

What? You can't see her too?

This morning I was enjoying a cup of hot tea while watching an old "Arthur" episode.

And yes. I mean "Arthur" as in Arthur the Aardvark.

That show (and the books) will always bring me immense happiness. I am a proud Arthur fan.

Anyway. The episode this morning featured D.W.'s imaginary friend, Nadine.
BFFs
"Aren't imaginary friends so weird?" I said to my mom. "What's up with that?"

"Um. Don't you remember YOUR imaginary friends?" She replied.

Oooh. Yeah. That's right.

When I was little, I had one imaginary friend and one imaginary boyfriend (sad how my romantic life doesn't look any more optimistic fifteen years later...).

Their names were Corda and Chachi.

I obviously got the name "Chachi" from Joanie's boyfriend on the TV show "Happy Days," but I still have no idea where I came up with "Corda."

While I can't remember ever actually playing or hanging out with my imaginary friends, what I do remember is making up extravagant stories about them.

For example, I would tell my mom that Chachi decided to run away from home and was living in our woods for a while with a family of baboons (creepy???), and I had designated a house on my aunt's street where Corda apparently lived. She was only six-years-old but mature enough to live alone. Oh, that Corda.

As disturbing as this information all may sound, I actually think it was my first way of creating stories. Writing fiction is one of my favorite things to do, and today I realized that the invention of these imaginary friends' and their lives was my very first experience with fiction writing.

Which is very cool actually.

But what about everyone else? Did you have an imaginary friend?

8 comments:

  1. haha...my imaginary friend was none other than "John Denver"--scary, I know!! I apparently referred to him as "john John"--Lord!!

    Emma also had 2 imaginary friends...."Lorphin" and "Lophalin"....Lorphin was the main one!! She would point to a specific house on River Road & said it was where she lived. She once said a story about her being on an ambulance or something....funny stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! What a fabulous way to look at imaginary friends- they are very strange though! Mine were named City (yep, like a city) and Ludagadi. So funny how most everyone had them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. uhm totally! everybody has imaginary friends!! Mine was named Glen. still have no clue where that name came from!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenna, I have no idea how you stumbled upon my blog, but I'm so happy you did!

    I still love watching Arthur when I can catch it - it was one show growing up that could hold my brother, sister & I's attention when there was a 7 year age difference between me and my younger brother!

    I took french in high school and my freshman year of college and loved it! I'm still in love with the language, food and culture.

    I also love to read and find no greater joy than getting lost in a good book with a hot cup of tea or a nice glass of wine.

    I look forward to reading more of your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this post is hilarious. i had good old george that occupied the space next to me in the back of our old chevrolet. he even had his own seatbelt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh I just love Arthur!
    I don't remember the names of my imaginary friends, but I DO remember walking around the woods, talking to myself like an insane person. haha!
    I also think it was the start of my love to make up fictional stories. At least, that's what I like to think!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think anything in particular can be that creepy about imaginary friends as a child. When I was a kid, I didn't have an imaginary friend, but my parents had imaginary dead children. If we were bad, my parents would say, "Remember Percy and Virginia? When they did _______, we forgot to feed them."

    I guess it sounds worse now than it did then...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome! haha. I never had an imaginary friend growing up, but your story is great! What a fun memory. :)

    ReplyDelete

Merci beaucoup for your comments! I always love to read through them!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.