| This little guy is so cute. |
In a day and age where ten-year-olds have Facebooks, it's hard to remember the time when AIM ruled the social media world.
When Facebook first installed an instant messenger, I can remember talking to a friend and commenting, "I doubt anyone will ever use this! Who would use Facebook to instant message when there is AIM?"
Of course, poor AIM was beaten out by FIM. Even by a loyal AIM user such as myself.
Here are some of my AIM memories...
The immense amount of time and effort that went into creating the perfect AIM profile. Here is an example profile:
"LiVe LaUgH lOvE
Friends: Katie, Ashley, Megan, Sarah...you know who you are!~!~!~! Love ya!! BFFAE!
10.3.99
I love you Scott! Idk what I'd do without you!"
(Note: You would probably break up with the love of your life, Scott, in less than two weeks. Love is fleeting at the tender age of eleven)
or the classic:
"UnDa CoNsTrUcTiOn"
Having your fifth grade boyfriend tell you, "Get on AIM today at 3:30," and then feeling waaay cool while you chatted to him about the upcoming book fair or most recent episode of Hey Arnold!
The pointless conversations shared between friends
Me: Hey!
Friend: Hey!
Me: What's ^?
Friend: n2m u?
Me: Same.
Friend: Cool.
Me: Yeah.
(I swear those conversations sadly occurred on a normal basis.)
The buddy icons
Lance Bass from N*SYNC or Britney Spears? Decisions, decisions!
The sound of the opening door whenever anyone signed online, and the slam of a door when someone signed off.
Quite dramatic in hindsight.
Oh, AIM...
I must admit, I feel very fortunate that Facebook was not invented when I was younger. I can only imagine the embarrassing things I would have done on there...
Oh AIM how we miss you? i remember those days, feels so long ago but it really wasn't. i remember being in my dorm room with my two other roommates and one roommate and i would be AIMing about the other roommate, man, that was so mean of us
ReplyDeleteWe used MSN back in the day and yeah, most conversations consisted of that!
ReplyDeleteMemories!
ReplyDeleteAww, I was actually laughing out loud while reading this post! I never went throught the AIM stage (I was way too cool to use any of this computer rubbish, that´s what I was telling myself lol) but to me, it seems like a first stage of our crazy social-networked era :)
ReplyDeleteway funny!
xx Ivana
Style in the City