Ever since I was twelve, I've had problems with my skin.
While I was lucky to never have severe acne, small breakouts have always been the norm for me.
"You'll grow out of it," my mom would tell me.
Unfortunately, it's been about nine years now, and I have yet to "grow out of it."
Recently, I was with a friend shoe shopping at Nordstrom. She was waiting on a few pairs of shoes to be brought out when I caught sight of the Bobbi Brown makeup counter.
"I'm just going to go over there for a minute," I told her.
When I arrived, I told the consultant about my skin and how I needed a foundation that would provide good coverage to my acne while not making it any worse.
"I have literally tried everything," I explained, "and nothing helps my skin."
It's true too. I have used...
Proactiv: This didn't help me at all. If anything, it exacerbated the problem. Also, the company is really sneaky, and you end up spending more money than you thought you would thanks to the fine print. Avoid this company at all costs!
Neutrogena Skin ID: Meh.
Aveda Outer Peace: This worked fairly well. It's gentler than other acne medicines, which is very nice.
Clinique Acne System: Same comments as Aveda.
Anything you can buy at the drugstore
Pills from the dermatologist: I had a severe allergic reaction to these my junior year of high school and was out of school for two weeks. I had to have a spinal tap and permanently lost my peripheral vision. Awesome.
"The" pill: While I gained weight, I didn't gain clear skin.
Anyway.
The kind Bobbi Brown consultant examined my face and said, "Sweetie, your skin is really dehydrated. You're using way too much salicylic acid, and it's only making your acne worse."
I couldn't believe that all of the acne products I had been using had been only hurting my skin.
That evening, I bought a really excellent foundation from that sweet makeup consultant.
Over the next few days, I began using a Dove Sensitive Skin Beauty Bar (as suggested by a friend of mine who has the most beautiful skin) while washing my face and then Aveda Botanical Kinetics Hydrating Lotion afterwards.
![]() |
| via |
![]() |
| via |
My face is soft again, and my acne is disappearing.
Many people do not realize how embarrassing acne can be. I have always felt so self-conscious about my breakouts, and I feel incredible now that my skin is looking clearer.
Thank you Bobbi Brown consultant!! :)


I think I'll try this, great post! I was so lucky that I didn't have acne throughout high school but the second I got to college I can't seem to get rid of it. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI've heard several people say that Proactiv makes acne worse - what a scam!
ReplyDeleteAlso, why is it that the pill always promises to cure acne, but only makes us gain weight? So frustrating.
Thanks for the tips! That's crazy that salicylic acid actually makes acne worse.
that was my solution too, adding more moisture into my skin. before that it was always dry, red and acne prone!! soo frustrating!! and who would have thought that walking over to the bobbi brown counter you would have been given great skin advice!! yah for you jenna!
ReplyDeleteThis is really interesting! I'm glad you were able to figure out what was going on and help your skin! i may have to try this too- I also suffer from just random breakout spots and its so annoying! My mom loves proactiv for me and my sisters but I'm not such a fan!
ReplyDeleteI used to work for Clinique and I really DO believe in their 3 step system (not the acne one, just the regular one, level 3) However, it sounds like that makeup artist gave you the right advice! People confuse breakouts and think it is because their skin is oily but sometimes it is just the opposite! So glad that you are finally getting the results you want!!
ReplyDeleteAND, I am also (shamelessly) plugging a giveaway on my blog. But it is for a really cool vintage t-shirt (winner gets to choose their design from the website) so I don't feel too guilty about it ;) The Mitten State Vintage T-Shirt Giveaway!
xo,
ashley
The Mitten State Vintage T-Shirt Giveaway!
Jenna if you think you've found something that works for you then defintiely stick to it but if you're still looking I would so try Paula's Choice. I really find her skincare products AMAZING! And if you ever watch one of her videos you see that this lady knows what she's talking about. Also her website Beautypedia.com rates skincare products across the board and I find this site an excellent source when looking to try new products. I can't rave about beautypedia and Paula's Choice products enough. I even wrote a post about it sometime earlier this year I think. Anyhoo, if what you've found works then DEFINITELY stick to it but if for reason you're looking to try something else, I'd give Paula's products a try :)
ReplyDeleteAh I have the same problem! My dermatologist is trying to make me take Accutane but I am nooott about that. I have been using Cetaphil face wash and lotion and taking an antibiotic and using a cream from the doctor on my face. It is getting a lot better too! Hopefully both of us stay acne free now. :)
ReplyDelete