![]() |
| via |
Recently though, I was re-reading Fielding's 1996 novel and found myself a bit annoyed.
One of Bridget's main concerns is her weight. She is supposed to be just slightly overweight. While it is usually refreshing to read about an imperfect heroine, Bridget only weighs 130 pounds!!!!! And that is at her absolute highest weight, too.
THAT IS NOT OVERWEIGHT AT ALL!!!!
Bridget actually begins one of her diary entries with, "130 lbs. [terrifying slide into obesity--why? why?]" (Fielding 15). While Bridget is obviously just being dramatic here, the fact that her highest weight is 130 and that she is viewed as plump is really quite bothersome.
I love you, Helen Fielding, but why didn't you use a more realistic weight?
I think Bridget Jones is supposed to be an empowering character for women. She is flawed. She drinks too much, cannot kick her habit of smoking, chooses the wrong men, indulges in chocolate a bit too often...yet she always pulls it together at the end and makes things work.
I just feel like if an author wants to make a statement about how it's okay if a woman is a little overweight, then she should probably use a higher number.
I realize just a few weeks ago I said how different numbers look different on everyone, but I've just never thought of 130 as a high weight.
Maybe it's me.
Weight today: 149.5.
I am not thrilled with my weight, but I am happy that I've still kept off 25 pounds. I exercised this morning (good), and I've been eating healthy thus far today (great).
I am still searching for the perfect motivation gift for when I reach 40 pounds.
Any ideas?

I agree Jenna! In my eyes 130 isn't overweight AT ALL! How short is Bridget supposed to be in the book? Maybe that's why the weight is considered bigger. I don't know. All I know is that I'd LOVE to be 130! I'm well over 130 but I'm still considered to be in a healthy weight range. I am 5'8" so maybe that's why. This annoys me too. I'm trying to lose weight myself and to hear that someone considers 130 overweight bothers me as well.
ReplyDeleteI need a motivation gift too.
GO YOU! I totally do not think 130 pounds is bordering obesity! You keep me motivated!
ReplyDeleteOh man. 130 is like my goal weight. So I also don't agree that the numbers obese. :P And I had no idea Bridget Jones was a book?! I need to get caught up clearly! haha. As for a motivation gift..is there a play/show/musical/some event you treat yourself too? Or what about a killer pair of shoes or something? Can't wait to hear what you come up with! :)
ReplyDelete130 overweight?! Ahhhh we're all doomed!! That's pretty pathetic in my opinion! I love the books, too :)
ReplyDelete130 lbs is definitely NOT overweight! C'mon!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.blog.badjoan.com