Last Friday, I went to my beginners knitting class.
And I sucked.
I had bought a Groupon for knitting classes/included materials back in January, and I was so excited to finally have the time to use it.
I imagined myself knitting afghans and mittens. Exchanging presents at Christmastime with relatives and friends sighing, "Oh, Jenna- how beautiful! You're just the most magnificent knitter ever. So creative. So lovely."
My class consisted of only three other students. There were two middle-aged women who were best friends, myself, and a ten-year-old girl who had knitted before and talked the entire time. Seriously, she never shut up. She would go from telling me about her great-grandma who knitted her a bear to how her brother had made peach tea yesterday.
Everyone else eventually began ignoring her, but I felt bad so I listened through it all and answered "Aww" or "Mmmhmm" when appropriate.
But anyway.
Everyone told me how "easy" knitting was so I was expecting this class to be a breeze.
Let me present to you my washcloth after 3+ hours of work.
My instructor kept coming over to me and asking, "Hmm... I just don't understand what you keep going to this poor thing."
Then, she would have to take out ALL of my stitching, and I'd have to begin again.
This happened THREE times.
Sorry to everyone who I daydreamed making a heartfelt Christmas present for. Not happening.

LOL this really made me laugh hahah. Knitting seems so hard now!!!
ReplyDelete<3 Belly B
Ugh Knitting does look all kinds of confusing. I crochet and I think it is way easier...only one thing to hold in my hand rather than two needles...
ReplyDeleteOh Girl! haha. My grandma has tried to teach me twice to knit. Hasn't worked yet. So I feel your pain. :P
ReplyDeletehhaha this post title is genius!
ReplyDeletejust found your blog and LOVE it! I'm your newest follower :)
Don't worry! With time it gets better. I took a knitting class in 8th grade and it did not start well. The secret is in the yarn you use. To begin, you use the easy stuff where you can see the mistakes, later the fluffy stuff hides all sins that might occur.
ReplyDeleteI also recommend later learning how to pearl- it's just backwards knitting and when you do it in combination with knitting you can make a textured striped pattern. =)