![]() |
| Go read this book. Now. |
A few words that immediately come to mind are: heartfelt, sentimental, devastating, courageous, eye-opening.
The Help follows the lives of three women living in Jackson, Mississippi during the Civil Rights Movement: Aibileen, Minny, and Miss Skeeter.
I feel as though every few pages I was either laughing or crying.
The Help reminds me a lot of Sue Monk Kidd's The Secret Life of Bees with the themes and issues taking place as well as the aspect of secrets and mysteries. I think both books have incredible insight and captivating stories. I like when I feel as though I am really getting something valuable from a book without the material being impossibly dense or dry.
I can't wait to see the movie version later this summer. I had heard so many positive things about this novel that I thought I'd better get moving and read it before the film came out! What does everyone think about the casting, though? I think Emma Stone is going to make a wonderful Skeeter.

I'm so excited you liked this book! I'm on the waiting list for it at the library and I'm hoping I'll get to read it before the movie comes out. Everyone I've heard from is saying good things about it so I can't wait to read it!
ReplyDeleteI bought the book a few weeks ago but haven't opened it yet! I can't wait to try it! PS did you know that it was Mercy's community book for the summer?
ReplyDeleteLOVE LOVE LOVE this book!!!! It is by far my favorite for the summer! So glad you loved it too :)
ReplyDeleteOH MY GOD!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book!!! I actually listened to the audio book on my ipod--amazing!!! I highly recommend the audio b/c they did a great job of changes the voices....I can't wait for the movie. The story line is so deep-it is so sad, but yet so funny at times.....ahhhh..makes me tempted to re-read it :)
ReplyDeletejust saw the preview for the movie being made based off of this book. CANNOT WAIT.
ReplyDelete