![]() |
| Oh Edie. Why did you have to become such a mess? |
(But if you haven't seen that movie and like Andy Warhol or just really awesome films- you should.)
This post is about me, and the summer job I have been mum on until now.
Today was my first day working at my family's metal-making factory.
Don't believe me?
Here is a picture.
It makes me want to cry just looking at myself.
Those steel toe gym shoes get heavy, and as we are all aware, I HATE JEANS!!!! Especially the jeans in this picture since they are now two sizes too big. The safety goggles only got bothersome towards the end of my work day when it grew hotter and they started steaming up.
I report to the factory at 7AM sharp when this buzzer goes off. We are given breaks between 9-9:10, lunch from 11:30-12, and then one last break at 2-2:10 before the buzzer goes off and we leave at 3:30.
I left work today with soot-covered hands and sore body parts.
Everyone was very nice to me today, and a lot of my aunts/uncles/cousins work either in the offices or in the factory itself, which is very comforting on one's first day in a metal-making factory.
The EIGHT AND A HALF hour day just seemed sooooo long, especially when standing that entire time, and I felt very bored as everyone else is doing his or her respective work and cannot talk. Even when you do get to do a task with another person, it is often too loud to hear each other speak.
To get through the day, I imagined I was Rosie the Riveter.
![]() |
| I wish I looked like this today and not like a total dork. |
I am only working Thursday and Friday of each week so it's really not bad. My salon hours are perfect during the school year, but they just aren't enough for the summertime. I realize how fortunate I am to have this job that doesn't conflict at all with my salon shifts, and an opportunity to make more money.
Still. I am one of the girliest girls you will ever meet, and I am going to take this first evening following my inaugural shift at the factory for feeling sorry for myself.
I hope you understand.


New schedules were always hard for me to adjust to. I hope you start to enjoy working there! Would love to hear more about it. How long have you been working at a salon?
ReplyDeleteI laughed at your little self-mantra about women on the homefront! This seems like such an interesting job! My family-related job is only in a law firm and it is much less exciting!!!
ReplyDeleteGo Rosie!...I mean Jenna! :) What an interesting job though, how long has your family had the factory?
ReplyDeleteI love this perspective on your summer job! You are too cute. I hope day two went well! :)
ReplyDelete