Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Getting skinny and literary!


So that title sounded like it rhymed inside my head.

It doesn't.

I've been doing really well making it down to the gym after work each each evening, but I'll admit...my workouts can get a little boring.

It doesn't help matters that ALL of the TVs are tuned to sports networks, and the one time that the Kardashians were on? Someone got up and changed the channel. While I was clearly watching. It was incredibly uncomfortable to say the least. And rude!
via
So anyway. My workouts have definitely been dragging so I knew I needed something to spice things up and keep myself distracted from my aching body parts and accelerated breathing.

I ended up downloading Audiobooks on my iPhone. I've stuck to classics so far as contemporary fiction is insanely expensive (I am not paying $27.00 for an audiobook- seriously?), and I've been meaning to incorporate more literary fiction into my chick-lit filled reading schedule anyway.

This past week, I've been listening to The Great Gatsby, a novel that never seems to get old. This audiobook has a terrific narrator, too. I think hearing a book read aloud can present the prose to you in an entirely new and exciting way.
via
While I'll always prefer real books to audio versions, I think this is a great way to liven up my evening workouts!

Next up? A short story by Jennifer Weiner and then Les Miserables.

Les Miserables is almost sixty hours in length.

That is A LOT of time on the treadmill.

5 comments:

  1. Jenna! What a fantastic idea! Audio books while working out is genius! I'm going to follow your lead and try that this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great idea to spice up the workout time. :) I need to keep that in mind when I go to the gum next time - whenever that is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh now I want to read the Great Gatsby. Need to find my copy in the basement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenna- you just got me excited to work out this winter. I am sitting here in awe! What a genius idea!!! I really dislike the treadmill but I want to keep working out this winter and this could be just the motivation I need. Thanks for sharing such a great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenna, this is a fabulous idea! I've been obsessed with audiobooks for ages: I have all Harry Potters of course, and The Hunger Games, and Twilight, but I need to branch out, and download some classics as well! I love to listen to them before going to sleep, while cleaning out, or working on some DIY projects. I'm off to buy The Great Gatsby :)

    xx Ivana
    Macarons and Pearls

    ReplyDelete

Merci beaucoup for your comments! I always love to read through them!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.