Last Friday morning, Brandon and I ventured off for a game (ahem- match) of tennis.
We wanted to play at a park called Sawyer Point, which is relatively close to my apartment and in a beautiful location downtown.
I pulled into the parking lot and was disappointed to see that parking was $4.00.
Even more disappointing? I hadn't brought my wallet, and Brandon only had a Discover card, which was not one of the accepted credit cards.
Unfortunately, someone had pulled up behind me while we were trying to figure out the parking payment situation, which ALWAYS happens when for some random reason, you have to back out of your previously desired lot.
I motioned to the man that I would be backing my Camry out, and he looked more annoyed than necessary. Regardless, I gave him a polite wave as Brandon and I set out for another court.
We quickly found a set of backup courts and began warming up. I hadn't played tennis seriously since high school so "Rusty" was my first (middle, and last) name(s).
"Okay! Let's get started now." I said, after I quickly figured out that my serve still sucked and there was no hope of saving it.
Brandon popped the red top off the new tennis balls and went to pull the metal tab off.
Sliiiiiiiiiiice.
Blood.
He had cut his finger open! And there was blood all over the court!
"Aw man," he sighed as I covered my eyes (helpful!). "Do you have a Band-Aid? Or grip tape?"
After I had handed over my embroidered high school tennis towel (Au revoir, pretty towel!), I remembered a first aid box I had in my trunk.
I excitedly reported this to Brandon and set off for my car.
The first aid kit ended up being a "my car is broken down and/or I have a flat tire" emergency kit. A flashlight was not going to be of any help in this situation.
When I got back to the courts, Brandon informed me that he had spotted a landscaping crew and was going to ask them for a Band-Aid.
Brilliant.
Continuing with my habit of being extremely helpful, I remained on the courts taking sad photos of myself on my iPhone so I could later document our tennis misadventures.
When Brandon returned with a well-bandaged finger, we were finally (!!!) ready to play tennis.
We only had time for one set before I had to get to work (I won, 6-3, and I will not tolerate his damaged finger as the cause for this victory of mine), but we've decided to make Friday morning tennis a tradition.
Hopefully we have better luck in the weeks to come!
Goodness. Maybe something was trying to tell the two of you that you did not need to be playing tennis that day!
ReplyDeleteAnd this story reminds me of why I always carry at least one box of band-aids in my purse. Most people think I'm crazy when they see what all my bag contains, but I just say that you can never be too prepared! ha!
Hope your next tennis adventure is less, well, adventurous!
I have been thinking about getting into tennis! I used to play casually with my dad when I was younger. PS. Love your new header / design. So pretty!
ReplyDeleteWow the gods did not want y'all playing tennis but you make your own rules :)
ReplyDeleteTennis seems like such a fun thing to do in the morning! Minus the parking fees and slicing of fingers :)
Happy Monday!!
What an adventure! Who has to PAY to park at tennis courts? I think Richmond has about 1000 courts and they're all full on the weekends anyway!
ReplyDeleteYikes. What an adventure to play tennis. But I am so jealous you did it and you look cute in your tennis top! Glad he is okay and you got in one match.
ReplyDelete