Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Name Game

I have always valued names.

I think they are so central to a person's identity.

Rumor has it that I keep a list of names for my future offspring.

Admittedly strange and a bit creepy.

Anyway. I am usually very good at remembering names.

Last night though, I was introduced to a friend of a friend who just looked like a "Samantha" to me.

No idea why.

All night I struggled to call her by her correct name. Thankfully, I was successful in this endeavor.

As I was departing the group around 11, I went around saying my heartfelt goodbyes.

"It was nice meeting you!" I called over to this sweet girl. "Bye Samantha!!!!!"

Yes. Not only did I say the wrong name, I shouted it! In front of the entire group!

Cringe...!

Understandably, she stared back at me blankly.

You know, because her name was not Samantha.

Her name was nothing remotely close to Samantha.

I apologized profusely, but I still felt awful.

So awkward.

I may just be more of a social ignoramus than originally suspected.

7 comments:

  1. You're better than me at remembering names then! I can be introduced to someone, with my ears wide open listening to their name, looking directly at them, and then as soon as I shake their hand... woops name goes right out of my head! It's a horrible habit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! Sorry to laugh, but this is really funny because I've done that so many times. I usually suck at rememebering actual names. I'm notorious for calling someone by what I think their names should be. There's a guy that I know whose name is...yeah, all I know is that I call him Chad because he looks like a Chad to me. I think he's Chris or something, but it should be Chad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I hate it when that happens! Sometimes when I meet someone and I think a different name fits them better I just tell them I am going to call them by the name I like better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops hit return on accident. This happens to all of us. I once changed one of my bff's bf's name from mark to andrew because i thought it fit better. He thought it was hilarious i always called him a diff name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh BOY! Awkward! I sure hope she was gracious about the little mix up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's totally natural:) I definitely would have freaked out, too, but these things happen, right?

    ReplyDelete

Merci beaucoup for your comments! I always love to read through them!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.