Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Insomniac

Last night, Rachel and I packed up our things and headed to our alma mater's library.

Admittedly, we felt a little bit like "those people" who can't move on past their college years. Especially since it was the university's first day back in classes. 

Nevertheless, Rachel had exams to study for, and I needed to concentrate on writing the Next Great Chick Lit Novel so off to the library we went!

We stopped by Starbucks before hunkering down with our work, and I ordered a Venti Iced Coffee.

It was around 7:30PM or so, and this turned out to be a decidedly terrible idea.

When we got home from the library around 10:30, I made a cup of caffeine free tea. Rachel and I watched an episode of Dawson's Creek. Afterwards, I read some of the book I am currently immersed in and turned on my Sleep Cycle app around 12:30.

And then I laid there. For hours.

I tried soothing sounds. Enya, a babbling brook, and ocean waves all proved futile. 

I continuously flipped my pillows over, desiring the perfect cushioning and temperature.
If only I had this little one's sleeping abilities.
Nothing was working. 

I couldn't believe it. I had only been out of college for a few months and already I had lost my immunity to caffeine.

Which is probably a very good thing. It just wasn't last night.

I finally fell asleep a little after 4:00AM.

I still set an early alarm for the morning so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a restful night of slumber tonight!

What do you do when you can't sleep?

4 comments:

  1. That sucks. I've gotten to this point that I sleep very late. 1215am late on the weekday. Because of this I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You poor thing! I really need to check out that sleep cycle app. I'm intrigued!

    I move to another spots, like out on the couch or I go turn on Masterpiece Mystery (tivoed) and that usually puts me to sleep pretty quick. Warm milk maybe due to the caffeine?

    Wishing you lots of good sleep tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah -those nights are the worst- I had one last week, for the life of me I couldn't fall asleep, just tossed and turned for hours. I think I was overthinking everything and my brain just needed to shut off! Hopefully you are able to get better sleep soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eww, I hate those nights! I have the same experience with a glass of Diet Coke at 19pm (definitely not a good idea). But when I'm not able to fall asleep, I always listen to Harry Potter audiobooks on my iPhone, I don't know why, but I always fall asleep before the first chapter ends :)

    xx Ivana
    Macarons and Pearls

    ReplyDelete

Merci beaucoup for your comments! I always love to read through them!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.