Thursday, September 22, 2011

I belong (finally)

I have been through a lot of majors during my college career.

International Studies, International Business, French, and now English (with a minor in International Business).

I was also once a Judaic Studies minor. Possibly the only Catholic in the program.

But anyway.

The first few days of this quarter have reminded me how much I love being an English major. All of my previous majors never felt right. I was too idealistic for business. I couldn't speak French (though in my defense, I am quite good at reading and writing the language), which is a pretty huge problem if you're planning on majoring in the subject...

And in all of these programs, I never felt like I belonged. I hardly ever bonded with my classmates, and I always felt somehow out of place.

When I walk into my English classes, I know at least 2/3 of my peers. We say "hello" outside of class, and I consider many of these classmates to be friends.

I also love the fact that my professors finally know and care about me.

Wild.

Arguably most importantly, I feel passionate about what I am studying. I get excited before going to class, and I think it's incredible to be surrounded by people who feel the same way about English.

I love being an English major.

I will choose to ignore this song from "Avenue Q"...you can do a lot with a BA in English! ;)

7 comments:

  1. I'm happy for you! I'm still searching for where I belong, I hope I land soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me happy for you Jenna! :) I am feeling the same way- I just love my classes this fall and can't wait to do put them to use in the real world!:P
    ps. how did you get interested in judaic studies? I've never even heard of that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy for you and regret not taking more English classes while I was in school!

    As a side note..that is too funny about the French, I too used to take it and was great at reading and writing in it, but my speaking was HORRIBLE! I just couldn't quite get the accent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. girl, keep going for your passions! i struggled with my majors as well and ended up graduating in journalism, which i loved. and now i'm about to apply to schools to get my MFA in creative writing, and i couldn't be more excited. it just feels right.

    as for luke wilson, basically i went up to him, tapped him on the shoulder & asked nicely if i could take a picture with him. his reply?

    'um, i'm not here tonight.'

    and of course that led me to reply, 'um... ok,' with a puzzled look on my face.

    so then, this big group of girls he was sitting at the table with turn to me & say, 'yeah... he's not supposed to be here... so no, he's not going to take a picture with you...'

    it was just extremely awkward. and before i knew it, there were tears in my eyes! i think i was just embarrassed.

    so yeah, that's my charming little luke wilson experience. :)

    ps - this is lauren from siddathornton... it's not letting me comment on your blog through my google account for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, and!

    thank you for asking about the GRE - i feel like i did pretty well on it. that math was wretched though (i have NEVER been a math person). i was also happy, though, that they give you a score range right away - puts me at peace :)

    -- lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. I´m so happy for you sweetheart! It´s always so tought to choose your path! I know what I´m saying: I have a Master in political science and guess what? My dearest ambition is to become a fashion or lifestyle editor...so much for the 5 years spent studying political theories and international relations...but I guess it wasn´t a complete waste of time, cause the one thing I was doing in college, was writing (no matter what the subject was :)

    Bon courage chérie ;)

    xx Ivana
    Style in the City

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog and am so glad I did! I know how you feel being in the wrong major.. but it definitely is nice when you finally get where you belong! I am Elementary Education major with a Minor in English!

    I look forward to getting to know you more in blog world!

    everydayaem.blogspot.com

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete

Merci beaucoup for your comments! I always love to read through them!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.