Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Being accosted by a mall kiosk worker

Yesterday, I was enjoying a wonderful rainy afternoon at my favorite shopping mall.

I was in quite a happy mood after having purchased the perfect rain jacket from H&M and a pumpkin spice plug-in from Yankee Candle when a kiosk worker from Dead Sea Skin Care approached me.

"I am going to change your life," the woman told me.

"No thank you!" I replied cheerfully as I continued to walk by her kiosk.

"Are those your real nails?"

I stupidly thought she must have loved my nail polish job and assumed it was shellac or something so I turned back around to go talk to her about my real nails.

Bad, bad idea.

This woman then proceeded to try out her nail product on three of my nails. Leaving me with two painted fingernails and two not. Awkward.
Gee thanks lady.
As she messed with my hands, she kept throwing out random compliments such as, "You are just SO beautiful!!!!"

Oh yes, I always look like Heidi Klum after having been outside in the rain all morning. I am just SO BEAUTIFUL.

After ten minutes of these ridiculous compliments and her playing with my hands, she began packaging up one of the boxes for me! FOR $60!!!!!

"Uhhhh...I don't want that!"

"What? Why? Your nails are so pretty. I am changing your life."

"I'm sorry, but I have no money. I'll need to come back with my mom," I lied desperately.

"Whaaaat? Well. How about I give you a special deal? But it MUST remain a secret! Our secret deal."

I will spare you the rest of the dialogue that took place between the two of us as she attempted to give me secret deals, but I am proud to say I was able to get away from the woman without buying her product.

But she did ruin my happy shopping mood, and I will now avoid mall kiosk workers at all costs.

Oh, and I am NEVER stopping to answer if my nails are real ever again. Never.

7 comments:

  1. Holy cow, it's like, they've got this special invisible magnet that pulls you in. You actually have to WORK at getting away. Gosh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh... i HATE when those people try to talk to me. i know it's their job, but when i say no thank you, i mean it! and then she just assumes you're going to buy $60 worth of products? rude... i'm glad you escaped :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. UGH those kiosk people are ruthless! That's ridiculous she only painted two of your nails and then tried to make you spend $60... good thing you didn't fall into her trap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg what a pusher! I love that pic haha! A similar thing happened to me and my mom when a little worker asked if we "wanted to see something cool" and we both replied that we didn't like cool things and walked away hahaha! Loving your will power to walk away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, I so hate these situations! Something similar happened to me at Bloomingdale´s: I was approached by a very cheerful man, and before I could say "uh-huh" I was sitting in a chair and having my makeup removed! I got a new "face" I wasn´t really happy about, and than he started to push me to buy a "cream for 80 bucks, serum for 125 and a makeup set for 120" I told him I needed to think about it, and I RAN as fast as I could! But even while running out of the shop, I was perfumed twice without even being asked! I was so mad! I think I won´t be going back any time soon!

    xx Ivana
    Style in the City

    ReplyDelete
  6. i cannot STAND people like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man,I am so sorry! Those people are the worst! And you try to be nice and they're just so pushy and don't understand! Hope your next mall experience is better!!

    ReplyDelete

Merci beaucoup for your comments! I always love to read through them!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.