Friday, September 9, 2011

The end of an era...or at least a summer job.

Well bloggers, I DID IT.

I survived my summer of working at my family's metal casting factory.

There was a lot of blood (okay, really very minimal blood), sweat (truly A LOT of this), and tears (yep- lots of these too) involved, but I really learned quite a bit from this experience.

1. I can wear jeans, and I won't melt.
2. Pallet jacks require a special kind of maneuverability skill I will never possess.
This is a pallet jack. They are evil.

3. Sometimes, dirt does not come out of your fingernails. No matter how hard you scrub.
4. When the garbage man arrives on Friday morning, it is oddly amusing to have the privilege of running into the machine shop and getting to shout, "TRASH!!!!!!"
5. Steel-toed shoes are hideous yet imperative in the factory setting. You will thank those ugly shoes the first time you drop a metal part on your foot.
6. If you do not wear gloves, you WILL get blisters. They will hurt.

In all seriousness, I am really proud of myself for doing a manual labor job. There were moments when I truly felt empowered while moving a heavy crate or working with tools. I also realized how hard some people have to work every day, and I have a whole new appreciation for my salon job and my education.

Let me leave you with a short iMovie I made for our company's YouTube page. Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Hey manual labour jobs can be really rewarding, once you get over the difficulty. And hey, at least you can now say you did it and survived :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I couldn't imagine working in one of my dad's garages or my grandpa's paving business, so brave of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are done! You survived! And great movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You are one tough lady! Congrats on being finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, you did it!
    Oh, and I agree about pallet jacks. I learned of their evil ways when I worked at UPS haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so proud of you girl! Way to go! What an accomplishment - you can go into the school year feeling good about your summer! :)

    ReplyDelete

Merci beaucoup for your comments! I always love to read through them!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.