It was my sweet, little neighbor from next-door.
"Would you like to run a 5K with me?" she asked, as she explained the program she had been training with, which was Girls on the Run. "I need a running buddy, and I wanted to ask you!"
I was so beyond flattered.
So despite the fact that I am one of the most out-of-shape individuals ever, I immediately replied, "Yes! I would love to!"
-*-
Yesterday morning, my alarm went off at 7AM.
It was time for me to get ready and run three miles.
Since the race was taking place downtown, I was able to walk to the event.
I couldn't believe how beautiful my neighborhood was at 8AM. I wondered if maybe everything appeared more glorious right before one was about to die.
When I got to the race location, I quickly found my neighbors.
Girls on the Run had SUCH fun booths set up. We had glitter sprayed into our hair. We made tiaras.
If I was to perish during this three mile run, I figured this was a fun way to spend my last few moments on earth.
Then, it was time to line up behind the finish line.
The DJ was playing fun, upbeat music, and everyone was pumped to go!
After Nicki Minaj's "Starships" concluded, it was 10AM- we were off and running!
The little girl did AWESOME during the race and only had to slow down a few times (I'll admit- I was grateful for those moments). I tried not to think about my heavy breathing (AKA panting) and just kept running.
I have never been so happy to see a finish line in my entire life.
I felt a little sick to my stomach once we had finished under 32 minutes (very good for our first 5K, I think!), but I kept my composure (and my breakfast).
As unpleasant as I had felt during that final mile of the race, I felt so proud of myself for having completed a 5K. I thanked the little girl for asking me to be her running buddy and told her I would have never done something like this on my own!
"Do you think you're going to keep running?" she asked.
"Nope. I'm sticking to walking."
Seriously. I am.
you go girl! I wish I could run. But I can't. I've tried.. but I just end up heaved over and panting and it's not pretty. So instead I just briskly walk or slightly jog. Maybe one of these days I'll build myself to actually be able to run for more then 2 minutes!
ReplyDeleteIf you ever change your mind, you should try one of the color runs! I honestly HATE running with a passion, but went with a friend and ended up having a blast! The color stations along the way made me forget how far I was running.
ReplyDeleteAny other kind of running and it feels like my body is falling apart! I'm in awe (and a little wary) of people who claim to love that form of exercise.
That's so sweet of your neighbor girl, and WAY TO GO JENNA! That is awesome and exciting for your first run. You may surprise yourself and run another one someday, but even if you don't, you can still be proud you did one! :)
ReplyDeleteYou rock, Jenna! I would have said NO, loud and clear, so I admire you immensely for doing this! I guess I'll still stick to walking :)
ReplyDeletexx Ivana
Macarons and Pearls