During our last presidential election, I was living in Chicago. I was a freshman at DePaul University and terribly homesick. My golden retriever, Nikki, had just recently passed away, and I was still hurting from her sudden loss. I was losing touch with my high school friends. We didn't click so much anymore, and I didn't know if it was okay to let go and embrace the new friends I had made in Chicago. I didn't have a clear idea of what I wanted to do and was struggling to find the right major. I was dating Ben and felt sure I had found my soulmate. I was a staunch Republican who wore a tshirt that read "McCainiac" proudly.
Seriously. I did.
I wore it in public.
![]() |
| The VERY first photo I took on my Macbook. Circa September 2008. |
Now, only four years later, I am back in my hometown of Cincinnati. I am living with Rachel, a girl who went from being a casual friend in high school to one of my absolute dearest and closest friends I'll ever have. I have a new dog- my goldendoodle, Ellie. I have graduated with my B.A. in English and have a career in medical writing. I love my job and coworkers and feel as though my life is on the right path. I am working on a novel I am proud and excited about. I am single, but as a hopeless romantic, I believe my "One" is out there somewhere ("One"- please stop hiding and come out soon...going to weddings alone is growing increasingly traumatic). I consider myself an Independent. My ballot will be have both Democrats and Republicans on it.
![]() |
| Circa 2012. Confident and mature woman. |
All of that change happened over a mere four years.
Sort of mind-boggling, isn't it?
One thing that hasn't changed? I still use the same Ikea pillows.
Yep. For real.
One thing that hasn't changed? I still use the same Ikea pillows.
Yep. For real.
Happy Election Day, bloggers! I hope everyone has short voting lines and makes well-informed and educated selections! Ben, Rachel, and I will be enjoying patriotic cocktails and these leftover Election cookies that my little sister, Ben, and I baked last night.
Yum.



This was such a clever idea for a post Jenna! Crazy to think of the changes in four years huh. I wasn't 18 four years ago so this is the first presidential election I've voted in but I sent in my absentee ballot a couple weeks ago!
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing way to recapitulate your past 4 years, Jenna! So much happened and changed in your life, and I think most of it is for the best: you are a very clever, talented and beautiful lady, and I'm sure that next four years will bring many many fabulous things in your life :)
ReplyDeletexx Ivana
Macarons and Pearls
I completely agree about all the changes that happen over four years. Here is to another four of growth and finding our "one's"
ReplyDelete