I've been enjoying a fantastic Thanksgiving "break."
I left work at 2PM on Wednesday. Unfortunately, my early dismissal wasn't because of the holiday but instead related to my afternoon doctor's visit. But that's okay.
That evening, Ben had some people over for appetizers and drinks before we headed to our favorite bar downtown, Japp's. Ben may have fallen asleep during his own shindig. He seriously cannot stay awake past 11PM on days he has worked. Poor guy.
I slept it a little bit the next morning before going to my parents' house for Thanksgiving. We had my dad's side of the family over and enjoyed amazing food and great conversation. I have concluded that my favorite Thanksgiving items are green bean casserole and ham (yes- we have ham and turkey).
| Isn't the resemblance uncanny?! This worked for about 15 minutes before Ellie went crazy again. She spent Thanksgiving afternoon in a neighbor's garage. |
Friday morning, I woke up to finish The Glass Castle. If you haven't read this memoir by Jeannette Walls, you must! My jaw was hanging open at some scenes. Jeannette Walls' life is just totally indescribable...!
Around lunchtime, Ben, Rachel, and I traveled to one of our favorite Indian restaurants where we had the buffet. I love Indian buffets as I get to try all sorts of dishes I probably wouldn't normally order.
After lunch, Rachel and I headed to Target. Most of the crazy Black Friday shoppers were gone for the day, which was très awesome. In typical Jenna fashion, everything I bought was for myself and nothing was on sale.
It should also be noted that my family members keep giving me wishy-washy responses when I probe them about their Christmas lists.
AHEM.
So anyway. Shopping was nice.
Friday evening, I got drinks with one of my dearest and closest friends that I only see a few times each year. This friend is one amazing girl- she is a photojournalism major, and quote me now, I just know she is going to be famous one day. She just has that aura about her, you know?
The two of us got drinks at a really swanky bar downtown. It was built during the Art Deco era, and I just cannot even explain how beautiful it looked with all of its Christmas decorations up! I would have taken more photos, but I was trying to be classy and fit in.
After drinks, we ventured over to Fountain Square to admire the Christmas tree and skating rink. Cincinnati is looking gorgeous for the holiday season!
We ended our night at Ben's where we drank wine, ate shrimp cocktail, and watched "The Millionaire Matchmaker." Addicting.
Oh, and Bill with the red hair? I am in love with you, and I would appreciate your wit unlike the Vegas cocktail waitress.
Moving on.
I worked at the salon on Saturday. It was a busy but fun day. I'll admit- I needed a great day at the salon. My last few Saturdays had been pretty overwhelming and not so awesome shifts, and this awesome day reminded me of why I love working there.
After work, I went to a Cajun restaurant for dinner with Rachel, Ben, and Mike. Ben had gator (!) while Rachel and I ordered hurricanes in a nod to NOLA. We each tried a piece of gator though so I think that was brave.
I came home and read Marjane Satrapi's graphic novel Embroideries, which is all about Iranian women and sex. As is Satrapi's usual, the graphic novel was amusing, funny, and thought-provoking. I am a huge Satrapi fan.
![]() |
| via |
I want a four day weekend EVERY week, please.
Oh, and this was my first time ever having paid holidays. I hope I never forgot how cool it is to be vegging around the house or celebrating with family while being paid. It's really such a luxury that I am going to make an effort to always appreciate.
Happy official beginning of the Christmas season!

4 day weekends are the best!! glad you had a great one :):)
ReplyDeleteP.S. just sent you an email asking you about being an English major :-D
LOVE 4 day weekends:) I'm so excited for Christmas! I found the picture of the shrimp funny because my phone told me my baby was the size of a shrimp this week. haha!
ReplyDeleteIsn't glass castle crazy?!?! I have that same birdie tray that ben has. Yay for paid holidays!
ReplyDeleteYour weekend sounds so relaxing. I could use a long bath and a good book myself! The Glass Castle is amazing - have you read her other book, Half-Broke Horses??? It's SO good!
ReplyDeleteThis post made me smile! It sounds like you had a delightful weekend - I agree, I wish they could all be long! I love that christmas tree too- I need to get out and do holiday things- I am not feeling in the spirit yet, boo!
ReplyDeleteHaha getting paid while you're having a good time is the best! I completely agree that 4 day weekends should be mandatory! Not too much to ask at all!
ReplyDelete