A few Sunday nights ago, I was enjoying my evening cup of herbal tea while reading a novel (Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close- fantastic book for any twenty-something woman) in bed.
Quite blissful.
I had the TV on as I was half listening to the VMAs.
I don't normally tune in to this awards show, but since there had been rumors of an *NSYNC reunion, I was keeping an eye on things.
When Justin Timberlake took the stage, I looked up from my novel with growing interest.
Yes, yes...JT was giving a phenomenal performance...but where were Chris, Joey, JC, and Lance?
Right when I felt certain that this *NSYNC reunion was definitely NOT happening, suddenly there they were!
Materializing from the stage floor, no less!
![]() |
| My favorite CD ever |
I danced along with the boy band from my childhood, shocking myself that I still remembered all of their signature dance moves.
During those glorious 30 seconds, the happiest memories flooded my mind.
I thought of the *NSYNC marionettes I received for my birthday one year- oh, how cool those made my bedroom dresser look! I remembered my dad taping an *NSYNC Disney Channel special for me and watching that show almost every afternoon that summer, sprawled out on my family room floor with my Golden Retriever beside me. I shook my head thinking of the giant poster I had above my bed with Lance Bass grinning on it and how I had asked my mom to take a photo of me in front of the poster so it would "look like I was actually next to Lance."
During that brief performance, I realized why many women feel a life-long connection to their favorite girlhood boy band(s).
Boy bands remind us of happier, more innocent times when the objects of our affection were a bunch of good-looking teenagers, not so much older than ourselves (but way more mature than the boys in class), who could sing and dance well and who appeared on countless mini posters throughout every issue of J-14.
These boy bands are placed on eternal pedestals. They will never be the guy who doesn't call you when he says he will, the boy who chooses another girl over you, or the first man to break your heart.
So cheers to *NSYNC and all of the boy bands out there (yes- even you Backstreet Boys).
And thank you for some incredible "feel good" dance music.
Oh, and Lance Bass?
You'll always be my favorite.

This is so cute, Jenna! And so true! I'm so glad we were able to text during this moment heehee
ReplyDeleteAhh feel the same way although JT was always my favorite! :)
ReplyDeleteOh my, these words seems to come straight from my mind. I still remember my first Backstreet Boys, NSYNC and Westlife cassettes (yes, it was time before CDs and yes, now I'm feeling terribly old!) I collected their posters, I had their pictures on my walls (my poor old wallpaper suffered a lot :), I dreamed of seeing them live in concert, which, at the time, was virtually impossible (in fact, I still hope that I'll be able to see them one day here in Europe). Seeing all those boy bands break apart was like seeing a tiny part of my life die away (I'm not trying to be overly dramatic, but that's how it felt at the time). Seeing NSYNC together on VMAs was like being 13 again, and honestly, I was SO disappointed that the performance was that short!
ReplyDeleteAnyways, you're right: they were the boys that set the standards in our teenage years, and they'll always have a special spot in my heart :)
xx Ivana
Macarons and Pearls