I walked over to campus early tonight so that I could print my paper before class.
It should have been so simple.
Which is usually when things go terribly awry.
When I entered the computer lab, I was pleasantly surprised to see a handful of computers available. I quickly took a seat in front of one of the beautiful iMacs. When I toggled the mouse, the screen awakened.
While the monitors were Apple, the systems running on them were Windows.
There is probably a more appropriate way to say that, but I've never claimed to be a tech-savvy, now have I?
CTRL + ALT + DLT
Right then- I could do that to log in!
Except I couldn't. Because the Mac keyboards were different, and I couldn't for the life of me remember where the square delete key was located.
I sat there like an idiot poking around until I finally managed to log into my account.
I opened my document and sent it to the printer.
Good and good.
When I went over to the printer area though, there was a guy disassembling the entire thing!
NOT GOOD.
"Is there a problem?" I asked stupidly.
The guy looked up. He was handsome in a rugged techie kind of way.
Maybe we would fall in love!
"Well, kids...you see...it was the funniest thing! Dad helped Mom print out her paper before class, and the rest is history!"
"The printer has a massive jam," he sighed. "How many pages is your print job?"
"Just two," I smiled, inexplicably proud of my short paper as if I was bragging about a tiny waistline or something (which I'll never have to brag about).
"Great," he nodded, definitely polite but also definitely not falling in love with me. "Let's try it and see if it works. It's been jamming after four pages so your job might be okay."
I fumbled around a bit before remembering where to scan my ID card.
BEEP BEEP!
Card number invalid.
The guy looked at me quizzically.
"Right. I don't know why it's doing that," I murmured, swiping my card unsuccessfully a second and third time. "Huh."
"These readers can be so slow. Mind if I try?" IT Guy gallantly swiped my card, his motion smooth and strong. He was clearly an expert card swiper. "Let's see here."
But it failed. Again.
"Something is wrong with your card."
Embarrassed of my stupid ID, I thanked him for all of his help and glanced at the time.
It was almost 6 o'clock!
I sent my professor a hasty email with the document attached and scurried off to class. Sans paper.
Computer Lab 1, Jenna 0.

Oh my, I hated these things back at school! I hope your professor was cool about it: sometimes the tech is playing really bad tricks on us!
ReplyDeletexx Ivana
Macarons and Pearls
Technology can be such a blessing and a curse. Our copy machine at school always seems to be down. It drives me crazy.
ReplyDeleteI hope you and your tech guy are very happy together:)
I hate our school computers too! And printers are the worst... Totally feeling you, love! :D
ReplyDeleteUgh, I remember moments just like this. And don't you worry, you'll win the next time ;)
ReplyDeleteAnd maybe have a "fall in love moment" lol
I don't miss those days!! I hope you treated yourself to some wine!
ReplyDelete