Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Oprah Winfrey says goodbye.

Firstly, I would like to apologize for this sappy post.

But...

Oprah Winfrey's farewell show airs today.

And I am unapologetically in love with this woman.

I was able to make to make the pilgrimage to Harpo Studios a few years ago, and I left with an Oprah sweatshirt and keychain.

I couldn't afford anything else.

Anyway.
The wonderful Ms. Winfrey

The Oprah Winfrey Show has been running for twenty-five years. 

That is longer than I have been alive, which translates to: I've never lived in a world without the Oprah show.

I know that sounds a little dramatic, but it is crazy to think about how much Oprah Winfrey has affected my life.

I used to watch Oprah everyday after school, and she provided me with something constant and unchanging during tough transitions in life such as beginning high school.

I've read a number of books that have changed my perception on life because of Oprah. The Poisonwood Bible and Night are two of these books. 

I've learned about different problems and issues in the world. The Fistual Foundation is an organization that I now care a great deal about because of Oprah. 

Oprah has inspired me to become a strong and independent woman. I respect her life's journey so much. Not many people can become one of the most powerful and influential people in the world having had no family connections or money to get them there. Oprah is entirely self-made, and I think that's incredible.

I love Oprah Winfrey, and I will be very sad to see her television show go. 

At least we have Ellen.
I love Ellen!

2 comments:

  1. AMEN. i cried and i only got to see the last 5 minutes. thank god for tivo

    ReplyDelete
  2. "That is longer than I have been alive, which translates to: I've never lived in a world without the Oprah show." Too funny girl - love that line! I never really got into Oprah (basically because I like never watch tv), but my aunt got her magazine and always passed them on to my family and I liked reading those! This is a great tribute to her- good post! :)

    ReplyDelete

Merci beaucoup for your comments! I always love to read through them!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.