Sunday, January 12, 2014

GIRLS is back!

Tonight, HBO is bringing something wonderful back into my life- Girls.
via
I started watching the television series last year, and I can still remember closing my Macbook afterwards and thinking, "Oh my God. I'm not alone."

The year after graduating college was a rough one for me.

Living Situation
College: Six-bedroom house near campus, which was always bustling with friends and activity. Whenever I walked in the door, I would throw my purse on the dining room table and just feel like I was home.
Post-Grad: Two-bedroom apartment with a horrible landlord. Went without heat for 10 days (just an example), and the kitchen cabinets always looked like they were on the verge of collapsing. Even after 12 months living there, arriving home never filled me with comfort.

Social Life
College: I lived with five wonderful girls and had a close group of friends. We were out 2-3 nights each week (sometimes more often in nicer weather), and our favorite bar was no farther than a 5 minute stroll away!
Post-Grad: Nearly everyone moved away. Of the friends that remained, everyone's lives suddenly became crazy busy with work and real life responsibilities. Seeing each other once a month was an accomplishment.

Attitude
College: By senior year, I felt confident and sure of myself. I was an English major, and I knew exactly what I was good at.
Post-Grad: While feeling very fortunate to have a good job, it was a career that didn't appeal to my interests or talents. I so often felt lost and unsure of myself, and I was a serious sufferer of the Sunday Night Blues.

Tough transitions indeed.

And while there was plenty of commiserating over wine with friends, Lena Dunham's Girls was the first show that so perfectly explained what it was like to be in your early twenties. It brought such a sense of relief to my life and made me laugh at my own woes and dilemmas.

Even though I'm in a much happier place of my life now, I still feel incredibly comforted whenever I curl up with a new (or old) episode of Girls.

Cheers to Season 3 and new adventures with Hannah, Marnie, Jessa, and Shosh!

1 comment:

  1. I've heard so many good things about this show but I don't have HBO so hopefully Netflix will pick it up that way I can know what all the hype is about.

    ReplyDelete

Merci beaucoup for your comments! I always love to read through them!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.