Allow me to be the first to admit- I am a lover of winter and its brisk temperatures.
The following Edith Sitwell quote sums up my attitude quite perfectly.
Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.
My adoration for winter may have started on December 19, 1989...a day of record-breaking cold in Cincinnati, Ohio and also the glorious date when I decided to make my appearance into this world. Perhaps my preference for winter began when I was six or seven, and chilly temperatures meant I could stay inside with my books and printer paper (which I used to write and illustrate stories on, commonly featuring princesses named "Lisa" and princes named "Jimmy") rather than be forced to participate in outside activities, as summer almost always demanded.
Having said all of that, the weather hitting Cincinnati right now?
Brutal.
I am terribly spoiled in my bedroom with its glorious 1919 radiator, which keeps me comfortable and warm. I am further indulged by a roommate who wakes up earlier than me and keeps the hot fan on outside the shower (Our house seriously ROCKS! A hot fan outside the shower = genius) so I get to enjoy a warm bathroom after having exited my bed.
| Beautiful, sweet radiator |
Unfortunately, nothing could protect me from the walk in and out of work today or the idiotic decision I made to walk four city blocks (eight round trip!) so that I could go to the bank during lunch.
Bloggers. It literally hurt.
My face was throbbing, and my legs ached.
It was just that miserable.
I could even feel the inside of my NOSE freeze up, which is rather disgusting.
My university is amazing and cancelled classes today so instead of spending more time trekking back and forth between campus tonight, I am getting ready to curl up with a book and a glass of orange juice (I feel that vitamin C is imperative right now...I want to ward off any potential illnesses).
Winter, please ease up a little bit.
I LOVE that Sitwell quote - it is just perfect!
ReplyDeletexx
Oh, I just love that quote!! And friend, I am sitting here draped in my flannel pjs and snuggling a throw blanket with Holly on my lap. STILL freezing. I need to make a cup of coffee and go get back and bed....what are you reading currently?
ReplyDeleteOh my, this truly is a brutal winter! The weather in the US has literally been all over our news, especially because the winter here is unusually mild (which I'm not complaining about in the slightest). Take care, Jenna, and don't fall ill, ok? :)
ReplyDeletexx Ivana
Macarons and Pearls