Thursday, March 29, 2012

Why can't I just walk?

Since I have officially graduated, I no longer have access to my university's gym.

(You know I was there EVERY DAY...spending hours on the treadmill and pumping iron...not.)

Lucky for me, the weather in Cincinnati has been beautiful, and I've been able to take my daily exercise outdoors.

I absolutely love to walk around the neighborhoods surrounding campus while listening to my iPod. It's such a nice time to think and just have alone time.

I must confess though- I feel like a loser whenever a runner passes me by.

The runner generally looks much more posh (think bright, perfectly fitting workout clothes) and in shape (I suppose that may have something to do with the fact that the runner is running and I am walking...) than me.
I swear this is what they look like.
So then I awkwardly attempt to run and then stop after five minutes since I really just want to walk instead.

I'm in no hurry.

Today, I was passing by campus when I ran into a former classmate.

"Just getting back from a run?" he asked.

"Yep!" I lied effortlessly.

He then went on to tell me how he was beginning a running routine, and I nodded understandably. You know, like I could totally sympathize.

Oh, the woes of running!

The thing was, I thought I would seem somehow "less-than" if I admitted I had just gone for a walk rather than run.

Why can't I just walk my way through life? I don't want to run!

10 comments:

  1. If you lived closer I would totally go for a walk with you and we could make fun of all these fantastic looking, put-together, runners. I honestly do not think that I will ever be a "runner" but I do enjoy a nice walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My excuse for not running is that I need my joints! I am good with just walking :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really don't like to run either..I truly wish I did, but I much prefer to walk. I enjoy the scenery for one thing, and I get winded easily if I run..which probably wouldn't happen if I ran more :P lol oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh girl, I am the queen of walking! It's the best because I'm going slow enough that I can actually appreciate the blooming flowers. Okay, hokey, but that's my excuse for not running :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I do enjoy running, I can totally appreciate a good walk too, and I think it's awesome that you like to walk! As long as you're moving, who cares how fast right! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a runner! Oh I can run if I have a basketball in my hand...other than that, forget it!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha, you crack me up! i love posts like this. i'm kind of split half & half between loving to walk & loving to run, & i have to say... if i am running & see someone walking, i'm instantly jealous! but when i walk, i feel the same way you do when a runner passes me by... i guess the key here is just to do what makes us happy :)

    - l

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so amazing! I was born & raised in Cincinnati - I miss it so much! I did tons of outdoor running when I was there, let me know if you need any routes! My parents were telling me the weather was amazing there this week, I hope it lasts for yall!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are right Jenna, you can walk through your life in whichever pace you choose! I'm exactly like that: I hate running! The fact that I love the most about walking (besides the obvious fact that it's incredibly French and chic!) is that I can admire the world around me and not just hurry by! Continue walking and don't mind those running fools :)

    xx Ivana
    Macarons and Pearls

    ReplyDelete

Merci beaucoup for your comments! I always love to read through them!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.