Wednesday, December 21, 2011

I am now in love with Mindy Kaling.

After my dad and I finished lunch yesterday, we stopped by my favorite bookstore in Cincinnati, Joseph-Beth, and my dad told me to go pick out a book.

My dad is definitely one of the people I inherited my love of books from. The two of us are happiest in libraries, bookstores, and used book sales. Heaven indeed.

After debating between a book of stories based on Jane Austen novels and one about Jackie Kennedy's career as an editor, I ended up picking up the Austen book and heading towards the register. 

On my way, another book caught my eye. It was Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)

Obviously, I had my dad buy me Mindy's book instead. And after having read and finished her book less than twenty-four hours later, yes, I feel as though Mindy and I are on a first name basis.

She is hilarious. 

I have never laughed out loud so many times while reading a book. Not even during Tina Fey's Bossypants (though that book was still incredible and so funny).

One of the favorite chapters was the very first one titled, "Chubby for Life," in which Mindy tells these fantastic stories from her childhood about being overweight. Mindy writes in this section, "It's a small point of pride that I was a six-pound baby, because from my limited understanding of baby weight, that's on the skinnier side. I flaunt my low baby weight the way really obese people must flaunt their dainty, small feet. It's my sole claim to skinny fame" (12). 

Absolutely amazing.

I love how Mindy is so real and self-deprecating even though she is obviously this wickedly funny, intelligent, and talented woman. 

Mindy Kaling, I want to be your friend.

1 comment:

  1. AH. Now I want to read this book too..I saw it in the store and thought it looked interesting, so I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Merci beaucoup for your comments! I always love to read through them!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.