Saturday, July 7, 2012

Pump the brakes!

Wednesday evening, Rachel and I hopped into my Camry and headed to my older brother's condo for a family Fourth of July dinner.

Even though Joel only lives a few miles away, I naturally got us a bit lost and we spent waaay too much time attemtping to make it across the river and through the woods to Joel's Kentucky condo.

We seriously did have to cross a river and drive through woods a la the classic holiday jingle.

When we finally made it to his complex, my car began making weird noises. It sounded like parts clanking around- almost like a groan even.

By the time we were pulling into a parking space in front of Joel's condo, the brakes were hardly operating at all.

They quit. No more. They were through with the task of making my car stop.

My dad was SO happy to inspect my car and determine that, yes, my brakes had indeed gone out. He was even happier considering the fact that I've totally ruined my brakes about three-four times in the past six years.

Not.

Rachel was a fantastic friend, as usual, and let me borrow her Lumina the following day so that I could make it to work.

I was petrified.

The Lumina and I have a bit of a shaky history. I was there the evening it decided to smoke and almost blow up en route to the grocery store, and I've essentially found myself stuck in the driveway while attempting to back and maneuever it onto the street.

One of the Lumina's low moments. Here is sad Rachel following the near explosion.
 Oh, and once I hit it with my Camry. Just a tap. But still.

HOW WAS I GOING TO DRIVE 20 MILES NORTH IN IT?!

On Thursday, I do not believe I ever drove so carefully in my life. I went a good ten miles under all speed limits (apologies to anyone who was stuck behind me!) and was too terrified to even change the radio station.

And I sure as heck did not back up at any point in the day. Cul-de-sacs and I became quite fond of each other.

The Lumina and I survived our day together, but oooooh man, am I thankful to have my Camry back again!

And I really am going to try and treat my brakes better. Lesson learned.

2 comments:

  1. Yikes! That sucks! Glad you and your Camry are reunited :)

    Have a fab weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha Just read this! Love it! Miss the Lum!

    ReplyDelete

Merci beaucoup for your comments! I always love to read through them!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.