Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Postgraduate Blues

I am an optimistic person.

I really, truly am.

But life as a postgrad eternally searching for a job is putting that cheerful disposition of mine to the test.

It is exhausting applying to job after job and rarely hearing anything back from the company. It's also discouraging.

Okay so that probably went without saying. I suppose few people are encouraged by rejection.

Some days I feel energized by the variety of jobs out there and incredible amount of possibilities.

But then there are times when I crave the stability of a full-time job and yearn for a known future.

This morning I woke up in the latter mood.

After so many failed job applications, I can't help but feel "I'm just not good enough. For anyone, for anything."

Eeeeek.

This post just ventured from the mildly sad to seriously depressing in a matter of seconds.

I think I need to go watch an episode of SATC and write some chick-lit.

ASAP.

Is it too early for a glass of Pinot Grigio?

8 comments:

  1. Cheer up and start reaching out to everyone you know especially your parents friends-this is the only way to find a job in tough times. Join some women's groups to network-Junior League/Junior Achievement/volunteer!

    Never too early for wine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. I have been applying to jobs since December and no good news yet, with graduation on Sunday I often feel like never browsing a job application ever again but I do want the stability of a full time job. Good luck on your search!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw! Maybe a few mimosas could help? I am sure you are frustrated, but think positively and attract that job! Relish and savor the time you have for you right now...as soon enough that alarm clock will going off and you will be a working girl!! The best advice I had when applying, (*back in the day) was to interview them too. Remember, it's got to be a good fit BOTH ways. Sell yourself because you are awesome!! It really is a matter of who you know though, that much I know. Just keep putting your name out there and bug all of your social circles/family ties etc. You will get your dream job Rebecca Bloomwood (or whatever her name is haha!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, Jenna, it feels like reading my own story! I was in the same situation over a year ago: freshly graduated, looking for THE job, sending hundreds of CVs and mostly receiving negative responses (if any at all). I can totally understand your feelings: after a certain amount of time (and resumés) I was feeling mostly depressed. The important thing is never to lose your confidence (I know what I'm talking about: I lost mine and then I was scrambling to restore it). I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason: maybe this means that you have more time for writing your book ;)
    Anyhow, a glass of wine is always a good idea, so cheers :) and cheer up!

    Sending big hugs your way :)

    xx Ivana

    Macarons and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  5. Giirlll, you and me both. I constantly whine to my boyfriend that I am "a great candidate" but not "good enough." I have gotten so many interviews for great opportunities but none of them have panned out. He comforted me by saying that he applied to at least 30 companies his senior year of college and didn't get an offer until the month of his graduation. He is a successful guy now, so I have faith that something will work out too. :) It will be okay, I promise!

    PS. Nominated you for a blog award. :) Check it out! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw I'm sorry you're feeling blue! I agree with the other comments, stay your cheerful, confident self and soak up the free time before your career!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the other ladies said it so well- I'm sorry your feeling down Jenna. You can do it! the perfect opportunity is right around the corner! My fingers are crossed for you! ;) you can do it- hang in there girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can do it girl! Keep your chin up!

    ReplyDelete

Merci beaucoup for your comments! I always love to read through them!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.