This evening, I was feeling a bit overwhelmed with life.
I had worked later than usual, and when I arrived home around 7:30, one thing after another seemed to be going wrong.
The down coat I've been missing since we moved in June? Rachel and I finally remembered its location- buried beneath furniture and a Christmas tree in the basement storage room. As hard as I tried, I just couldn't get the coat out. Very unfortunate timing for my upcoming weekend trip to blustery Cleveland.
My face had broken out terribly, and I wanted to stick a paper bag over my head.
An evening writing project was looming over me, suggesting a late night.
Oh, and then Mother Nature decided to say bonjour!
Of course, I did what all mature and practical grown women do when times get tough. I called home.
Unfortunately for both of us, my poor dad answered the phone.
I began to ramble off my woes, my voice breaking as I neared the end, hysteria seeping through the phone line.
Even though my dad is a wonderful and caring father, he is still a man. And was totally freaked out by my overly emotional state.
"Just go do what you need to do then!" he said, being very unhelpful.
I hung up the phone. And cried. No- mewed. I mewed pathetically.
Seconds later, the phone rang. It was my mom.
"What's the matter?" she asked, her voice reassuring and calm.
I rattled off my list of problems once again.
And then the most miraculous thing happened. My mom rattled off a list of solutions.
Wonderful, real solutions.
And suddenly, all of my problems seemed manageable and...well...not such big deals after all.
I love you, Mom. Thank you for always calming me down and keeping me sane.
I have no idea what I'd do without you.

Moms are the best aren't they?? how do they always know the right things to say?
ReplyDeleteThat is awesome that your mom helped you and made you feel so much better! I'm lucky enough to have a mom that can calm me down and give me the perspective I need as well. Moms are so wonderful!!
ReplyDeleteMom's are the greatest when you find yourself spinning out of control. I love how the older I get, the more brilliant mine becomes!
ReplyDeleteI laughed out loud when you said your dad answered haha! I love when my dad answers - he usually just hands the phone over. But thank God for that man because he is one of the few in my life who will drop everything and run to Target for me when mother nature does come haha! And he usually knows enough to throw in some chocolate. Glad your mom had solutions though :)
ReplyDeletegosh, i just love amazing mothers. what would we do without them? :)
ReplyDeleteand seriously, i have those days when everything just seems so unmanageable ... hate those days!
Moms are the best! So glad yours was able to help you out! :) Hope you got all your stuff done!
ReplyDeleteI really don't know how we could survive without our moms! They are always here whatever happens, ready to make a cup of tea, let us ramble and then offer solutions that are wonderfully simple and oh so effective! You are so lucky to have such an amazing one :)
ReplyDeletexx Ivana
Macarons and Pearls
Moms are just the best. They make everyhing better.
ReplyDelete