We would all stand in a circle holding hands as we sang the "Make New Friends" song. Very warm and fuzzy stuff.
Now though, more than ever, the lyrics of that song seem oh so relevant to my life.
Last night, I was able to get dinner with a friend of mine from high school that I only get to see about once each year.
She is the kind of girl who hyperventilates at the thought of staying in one location for longer than a single year. She always has the wildest, most fantastic stories of her adventures to tell. She is also one of the oldest and truest friends I have.
Definitely fitting into the latter "and the other's gold" category.
Rose and I met during our freshman in high school. We were in the same French class (and would remain in the same French class all four years!) and quickly became friends.
Whenever the bossiest girl in our class, Morgan*, tried to...well...boss me around, Rose was always my first defender.
She is part of some of my favorite memories from the past ten years of my life. We had her mom drop us off at the movie premiere of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. We made Harry Potter t-shirts together with iron-on letters from Michael's (Rose's read, "I SPEAK PARSELTONGUE"). We narrated a "Barbie Fashion Show" in French class.
At dinner yesterday evening, Rachel, our friend, Megan, Rose, and I all caught up over incredible salads, gourmet pizzas, and salted caramel gelato.
| Megan and Rose |
Rose's ultimate quote of the night was, "Well. I did Vegas right. I almost married a Brit."
For real.
So here is to all of those lifelong friends who, no matter how much distance lies between you or how many months have gone by since you've seen one another, still feel like some of the closest and truest companions you could ask for.
*This is totally her real name.
um that dessert looks amazing. Always so fun to get together with old friends:) especially ones we don't get to see often!
ReplyDelete"this is totally her real name." Omg. I died.
ReplyDelete:) i love these type of friends! no matter how much time has passed (or distance is between) you can just start right where you left off.
ReplyDeleteHAHA I love the story of how Rose defended you. I love even more that you changed the name to protect the guilty ;)
ReplyDeleteAwww I love this!! Salted carmel whaaaa?? Need.Now. I love that you used a real name hahaha. Have you ever read House on Mango street? Not that your life is anything like hers, but I love your writing as it reminds me of vignettes like that. Except, yours are short and sweet snippets of mostly happy thoughts, with a few real moments mixed in once awhile. :)
ReplyDeleteThis is such a sweet post Jenna. I love nights with good friends like that!!
ReplyDeleteAww so nice to have these friends. My high school friends still seem more like family to me than any I've met along the way. And nice disclaimer :)
ReplyDeleteSeriously old friends are the best. Now I'm intrigued by all the places she moves to. This could be a whole separate post! We could all live vicariously through her.
ReplyDelete