Thursday, April 19, 2012

Why am I shaped so weirdly?

Yesterday, my mom and I embarked on a dangerous adventure.

We went shopping for business clothes. For me.

Leggings, dresses, tunics, and fun jewelry would not be on our agenda.

Instead, we went to my favorite mall searching for suits, skirts, pants (!), and any and all clothes deemed "professional" and/or "business appropriate."

Blaaaaah.

Boring, boring, boring.

I must admit, the day started off surprisingly well at Ann Taylor. I found a beautiful "business" dress that I felt comfortable and pretty in. We also purchased a lovely top at Ann Taylor and received 40% off our (okay, my mom's) purchase.

We then set off for Macy's in pursuit of the perfect suit.

This is where things began to crumble.

We found lots of cute suits out on the racks, and I ventured off into the dressing room.

Almost all of the suit skirts and bottoms would not come past my hips. I had to go up two (!!!!) sizes for them to cross the expansive boundary known as my wide hips. Then, they were huge and baggy everywhere besides my hips and butt where they were pulled tight.

"I had no idea you had such a big butt," my mom commented in a matter-of-fact manner.

How had she missed that HUGE physical detail of mine?

Besides the bottom drama, the suit jackets I tried on fit fine in my regular size. The sleeves were just too long.

How had my body become so awkward in a mere minutes? The doctor had always complimented me on my "well-proportioned" shape!

We ended up leaving the mall sans suit.

Well, my mom found one that fit her stunningly.

It must be nice being 5'9" and slim.

In happier mall news, I did pass this AMAZING advertisement at Victoria's Secret.
Free advertising! I can dig that.

7 comments:

  1. I am the same way! My hips and butt make shopping extremely difficult. I usually have luck at The Limited for suits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you're shaped weird at all! A lot of us women (me included) are bigger on the bottom than the top. We get the wonderful label "pear shaped". lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH Jenna! You are not shaped weird! Seriously, sizes mean NOTHING lately. My sister and I tried to find dresses yesterday and we were all over the board, fitting in smalls & larges! I think once you find the right fit, you'll be fine. Ann Taylor Loft has great pants with different fits for body types. You probably just need to find a great tailor! LOVE the free ad. (and I too will always love leggings)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, I bet you do not have a big booty at all! You are gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I hear you on the awkwardly-shaped body! And the Victoria's Secret sign is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That VS Sign is AWESOME - perfect for you! :) And I so hear you- nothing seems to fit "just right" when I'm trying it on either!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always had the exact same problem: I've never been able to buy a suit and in the end, I had them all tailor-made: the best decision ever! I haven't tried on pants in the mall for ages, it's just so depressing!

    xx Ivana
    Macarons and Pearls

    ReplyDelete

Merci beaucoup for your comments! I always love to read through them!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.