My friend, Megan, has been traveling around Southeast Asia for the past six months.
![]() |
| Photo courtesy of Meg Vogel Photography |
This girl is so brave that not only did she pack up and head to a foreign continent, she decided to backpack across it solo!
I mean, I think I'm courageous when I go to a movie alone for goodness sake.
Anyway!
Megan's parents thought she was all set to come home at the end of the year, right before Christmastime.
I thought the same until I received an email a few weeks ago, detailing Megan's grand scheme!
:)
This morning at 6AM, I went and picked Megan up from the airport.
"You're so clean!" I exclaimed, as we hugged over and over again. "I thought you were going to be gritty and gross."
(I also thought I was going to have to lie and wave my hand dismissively, "What? Of course you don't smell!")
"Really? I've been traveling for 40 hours!" My poor friend responded.
I drove Megan to her parents' house, the half hour car ride not nearly long enough for all of the catching up we had to do.
Once we arrived at her house, she handed me her GoPro camera and we walked towards the front porch.
Megan pulled out her cell phone and dialed her home number.
"It's so cold here!" she exclaimed when her mom answered the phone. I assume some confusion followed. Megan went on, "It's so cold in Cincinnati! Come to the front door."
Bloggers, the scene I was able to witness (and record with the GoPro!) was awing.
Megan's mom opened the door, and started to cry as they hugged each other.
Megan's dad wasn't far behind and more hugging and exclamations followed.
The family's goldendoodle bounced around merrily.
I had tears in my eyes and chills up my arms.
It was the absolute perfect way to begin the holiday season, and I feel SO lucky that I was able to help Megan with such a beautiful surprise.
Oh, and I totally felt like I was in a scene from Love Actually.
It was absolutely magical.

This is totally a scene from Love Actually! I got goosebumps reading it! I'm too much of a homebody to ever surprise my parents. They would be like, "weren't you here yesterday... for dinner... didn't you spend the night... even though you have a husband and a house..."
ReplyDelete