Sunday, October 20, 2013

No umbrellas allowed!

So I've been a terrible blogger this month.

Between work, trying not to fail out of grad school (Okay- that is incredibly dramatic, but grad school is really kicking my butt), and attempting to maintain somewhat of a social life, blogging has fallen by the wayside.

This past weekend was homecoming at my alma mater, the University of Cincinnati.

My dear roommate, Kelsey, who had knee surgery back in the summertime, was able to venture down south and brought along one of her friends, Anne. Anne's boyfriend, Zac, traveled up from Nashville, and along with Kelsey's fiance (the famous Tool-man Taylor who builds and fixes everything in our house), we had quite a fun group.

We stayed in Friday night drinking champagne and eating Chipotle.

Saturday morning, we awoke to one miserable day.

The temperature was only in the upper 30s, and it was pouring rain!

Not ideal football spectating weather.

Kelsey and Anne decided to stay home, but I wanted to at least make an appearance at the football game.

Okay. I really just wanted to wear my Kate Spade red rain boots and have people compliment them.

Taylor, Zac, and I headed over to the noontime game bundled up and ready to go. I brought along my trusty "Gustbuster" umbrella and paired with my scarf and gloves, I felt warm and comfortable.

"Excuse me! No umbrellas inside!" A security guard called out to me sharply as we went to enter the stadium. He nodded towards a huge pile of forbidden umbrellas.

WHAT? NO UMBRELLAS?

What would happen to my hair?!

Never one to disobey the law, I sadly dropped my umbrella into the heap, wondering if I would ever see my incredible Gustbuster again. I imagined someone recognizing its worth and swiping it, an evil grin across his or her face as the criminal ran into the gloomy day, perfectly protected from the rain.

Without my umbrella, I stood there watching the game, the rain pelting my head as my hair grew increasingly wet, and I grew increasingly cold.

Probably needless to say, I didn't last long.

One quarter to be exact.

I told the boys I was walking home.

As I neared the sad, sad mountain of confiscated umbrellas, I felt certain that mine would not be in the mix.

I pondered the moral code for this sort of thing- if my umbrella was stolen, did that give me the right to steal someone else's?

No, I couldn't do such a thing.

By some sort of miracle, no one had taken my umbrella! It was still there! Happy waiting for me. Hurrah!

After an afternoon spent at home warming up and drying off, our group ordered in pizza before venturing out into the much drier night.

We went to a few bars and ended out night on a very positive note.

Here is hoping for a homecoming with better weather next year!

Or that I at least bring a poncho along.

3 comments:

  1. Chipotle is my addiction!! Def. bring a poncho next time;) Learned that the hard way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had chipotle since I've moved. I'm in withdrawal and need some ASAP!

    I can't believe they would confiscate umbrellas when it's raining! What is the reasoning?! So strange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That poncho isn't a bad idea :) It's such a shame that the weather was so bad, but it still sounds like you had a lovely weekend! And those rain boots? Faaabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete

Merci beaucoup for your comments! I always love to read through them!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.