Saturday, October 26, 2013

New Friday Tradition

Yesterday marked one of the most amazing Friday nights I've ever had.

Which makes it sound like I was proposed to by my imaginary boyfriend. Or watched a sunset while drinking cocktails with friends. Or won the lottery and could finally afford a Burberry trench.

Nothing quite that dramatic occurred, but it was lovely all the same. 

After work, I headed to Whole Foods where I took my time meandering around the store, inspecting different products and taking in that incredible Whole Foods scent.

I put together a supper plate and after adding a few bottles of red wine, a wedge of Meadowkaas Uniekaas Gouda (I swear that was what it was called), a loaf of garlic bread, and the most festive pumpkin cupcake to my cart, I was all set!

Once home, I put in a load of laundry while I warmed up my dinner and the garlic bread in the oven.

I changed into an oversized tshirt and worn, jersey yoga pants. 

Arranging my food on a plate, I thought, "Eeeeep! This is enough for two!"

Unfortunately, since I am single, I was forced to eat it all myself.

Mwahahah.

Okay. I only was able to eat half and had to put the rest in the fridge.

I didn't even get around to this adorable cupcake!

But anyway.

After my comforting supper, I cuddled up on the couch with my new Target Threshold microplush blanket and finally had the time to read Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy.

A coworker and I went to get our copies of the novel the second day it was out, and it's been sitting on my nightstand, unread, for over a week now!

Needless to say, it was driving me quite crazy.

It's been fourteen years since the last Bridget Jones novel was released, and Mad About the Boy is appropriately set fourteen years later in 2013. 
Night my friend, Kenny, jeopardized our friendship.
Bridget is a single mom trying to recover from the loss of her husband, Mark Darcy (who was KILLED by a land mine in the Sudan!), take proper care of her two children (Billy and Mabel), write a screenplay, and somehow fit in time for online dating.

I am a Bridget fan through and through. I liked that Bridget still felt like Bridget all these years later. Fielding hadn't lost Bridget's voice, and that was comforting. 

Unfortunately, there were more negatives than positives for me, and this novel left me pretty disappointed. Bridget's obsession with Twitter? Annoying. The somewhat disorganized and sporadic writing structure? Very confusing. Killing off Mark Darcy? Literally cried at every single mention of him, and that is no exaggeration.

After finishing the novel around 1AM, I climbed into my cozy bed where I enjoyed the most fantastic sleep.

I slept long and well, which can be hard to come by! You often are awarded sleep of one variety and rarely both.

After a relaxing Friday night with such incredible food and a fun novel, I feel ready to tackle all of my schoolwork and chores today.

Money may not buy happiness.

But Whole Foods certainly can.

7 comments:

  1. Your posts always make me laugh Jenna!

    That dinner looks INCREDIBLE. Also... I am like.... so close to petitioning for Whole Foods to open up in Spain. I miss good, organic, YUMMY food. And your night sounds absolutely wonderful - sucks that the book was a letdown! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't a big fan of the new book either Jenna! :( I had looked forward for it for such a long time too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe, this post is awesome! Makes me want a Friday night such as this! I think I need to head to Whole Foods ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are too funny! i love Friday Nights like this! and yes Whole Foods is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love a Friday night like that! I'm thinking that after I finish some writing this morning, I'm going to start reading a new book. Books will make this day less boring for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually decided to boycott that book when I first heard that Helen killed off Mr. Darcy. I mean, how dared she? That's just so mean and pointless! I may give this book a chance in a few months, when I stop being so pissed :)
    But anyways, it still sounds like a wonderful Friday evening (I mean, cupcakes and wine? Count me in!) Mine wasn't bad either: I went to a wine tasting, which was so fun and fabulous! We should definitely attend these when we move to Paris! :)

    Have a fabulous new week, Jenna!

    xx Ivana

    Macarons and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sigh...this makes me miss my evenings alone while Doug was in class. Dinner of ramen noodles (who else on this earth would miss that?) covered in parmesan cheese and a grilled cheese on the side. Sitting on the couch. Watching Rory and Lorelai.

    ReplyDelete

Merci beaucoup for your comments! I always love to read through them!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.