Sunday, December 2, 2012

"Could I please talk to the guy you're working with?"

Yesterday evening, Rachel and I were taking an evening walk downtown.

"I'm so hungry, but I don't want to pick up food that will get cold," I sighed as we passed by places such as Panera and Chipotle. We still had a good two miles to trek before we were to arrive home, and I imagined soup or a burrito just wouldn't be quite so delicious when not served steaming hot.

"How about sushi?" Rachel suggested.

Perfect!

We stopped into a great sushi place where you choose all of the ingredients and create your own roll. The guy working the sushi bar was incredibly friendly and kind. He inquired how our day was going and made pleasant small talk as he prepared my roll.

"He was pretty cute, wasn't he?" I said to Rachel once we had exited the sushi place.

"He was!" She enthusiastically agreed. "Jenna-why don't you call the place and ask him to come out with us tonight?!"

"Well...okay! I'll do it!"

Once we arrived home, I looked up the restaurant's number and nervously pressed the "call" button on Rachel's phone (God forbid MY number be associated with this sort of thing).

When a girl answered the restaurant's phone, I timidly said, "Hi! This is going to sound really weird, but could I please talk to the guy you're working with?"

"Uh," she replied, "John*? He's taking the trash out. One second."

"Hi. This is John." The sushi guy said professionally a few moments later.

"Hi! This is Jenna. I was just in there with my friend, Rachel. We were the girls on a walk? I think you seem really nice, and I was just wondering if you'd like to come out with us tonight."

"Yeah! Sure! That sounds great," he said cheerfully. "Where are you guys going?"

"Japps!"

"I love Japps! Hey, I would take down your number, but my hands are kind of full...would it be okay if you wrote mine down and texted me from yours?"

"Of course." Using a dry eraser marker, I quickly jotted down John's number and promised to text him.

True to his word, John met up with Rachel and me at the bar later that night. He bought me a gin and tonic, and we had a great conversation.

Truthfully, I don't think there were any exciting sparks or chemistry between the two of us, but I'm happy to have made a new friend. John was an awesome person, and it was fun getting to know him.

Sometimes, life does come close to a "Sex and the City" episode.

Now if only I could meet my Harry Goldenblatt and have the checking account possible to afford Louboutins.
via
Someday.

*Not his real name

5 comments:

  1. Jenna! I would never have the guts to do such a thing -- good for you! Your Harry/Mr. Big is out there! Maybe I'll see you at Japps sometime soon! I loooove that bar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna, this is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brave girl! I've never had the guts to do something like that.. haha. Regardless of the outcome at least you made a new friend:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenna, I LOVED this post so much! I would never ever have the guts to pick up the phone and call the restaurant! You have my admiration :) It's so wonderful that you could make a nice new friend!

    xx Ivana
    Macarons and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are SO BRAVE. I don't know if I would have the guts to do this, but I think it's awesome that you did! And I love moments that feel like a tv show/movie :)

    ReplyDelete

Merci beaucoup for your comments! I always love to read through them!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.