Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Winter Blues?

Even though winter is one of my favorite seasons (I realize I am in a VERY small minority there!), I occasionally find myself feeling a bit down from January until March. Here are just a few things I do to get my mood back up!
1. ONLINE SHOP. (Pictured is my one of my favorite literary characters, Mrs. Becky Bloomwood Brandon, star of the Shopaholic series) Few things cheer me up more than online shopping. It is so fun to sit in the convenience of your home and browse through websites as if you're looking through racks of clothes. It is also exciting to receive packages in the mail. It's like getting a present from yourself! Anyway, my favorite places to shop online are ModCloth (Lovely and unique clothes, shoes, accessories, etc. from independent designers. Best part? FREE returns!), Forever21 (SUCH a better online selection, and you don't get frustrated rummaging around looking for items with a billion other people in your way. It's actually the only way I shop there when possible. The store gives me a headache), and eBay.

2. Read!!! Reading is one of my absolute favorite things to do- especially in the winter! It is so cozy to snuggle up in bed with your favorite book and pretend that you're in a different place for a while (and not in cold Cincinnati!). I am trying to begin "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series now, but with classes, it's been tough!
3. Netflix. I've had Netflix for a few years now, and I am in love with this company. It has not only provided me with entertainment, but even saved me in school with having obscure films required for random classes! Netflix is perfect all year round, but I especially love it in the winter as I do not have to make any video store trips. All I have to do is wait for my DVD in the mail or watch a movie online. I watched "He's Just Not that Into You" last night. Such a funny movie! 

4. Workout. Yes, I really did just type that. Let me be the first to admit, I am not the most dedicated exerciser in the world, but it really does boost your mood and make you happier once you get going! I like to jog on the treadmill while watching a Sex and the City rerun. I also recently purchased an extremely cute yoga mat, but I haven't turned into a loyal yoga girl yet. 

5. Paint your nails! This may seem odd, but I find that painting my nails fun colors in the winter really makes me a happier girl. Doesn't a little glitter make everyone happy?
6. Hang out with an animal. Something that instantly makes me smile is playing with my dog, Ellie. Petting a dog is supposed to lower your blood pressure (I think I read that somewhere), and it really does just make you relax! So go cuddle up by your favorite pet!

7. Take a bubble bath. I realize that taking frequent, hot baths is not the best for your skin in the winter time, but every now and then doesn't hurt. I love having a good book and a long bath in the winter (actually, I like that all of the time), and my absolute favorite product to use in the tub are Lush bath bombs. Lush bath bombs are absolutely amazing. You just toss one (or a piece of one) into the warm water, and it begins to fizz until it's completely gone and your tub water is soft and scented. If you don't have a Lush store nearby, check out your local Macy's (they sometimes have Lush shops inside) or refer back to number one of this post and shop online.

8. Be with friends!!! (My best friend Ben who is pictured here, is going to kill me for uploading this) The best way to combat winter blues? Go out (or stay in) with your friends! :)


2 comments:

  1. Reading this blog post right now while watching Oprah's episode on how to be happy. What a coincidence!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LAUGHED when I read your comment about the yoga mat and that watching SATC motivated you to buy it!! hilarious!!!!!
    Also, I just bought a Lush massage/moisturizing bar---smells amazing--definitely recommend it!!! Oh, and the glitter bars are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Merci beaucoup for your comments! I always love to read through them!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.