I am totally conflicted between signing another lease or moving back home.
I feel like I am getting to a point in my life where I'd enjoy living alone, but living solo is expensive.
Could I comfortably afford to live alone? Yes.
Would I be saving much money towards a future down payment for a condo or house? No. Not at all.
Right now, I am starting to lean towards moving home with my parents. Here is a little list I've put together of the advantages and disadvantages of admitting defeat and returning to my purple childhood bedroom.
| Future roommates? |
Pros
- Free rent! I could buy at least one luxury item each month (Oh, how my shoe and handbag collections would grow!) and still be saving hundreds of dollars to put towards buying something in the long run. I could also afford to travel more often!
- Clean and cozy living environment
- Ellie
- Mum and Dad (Since Ben is going to college this autumn, I'd have them all to myself and could work at establishing myself as the favorite child)
- Soaking tub and fancy shower
- Much better food than I buy
- Treadmill
- Luxurious living accommodations compared to where I am now living
Cons
- LOCATION!!!! My parents live in a part of town that I really do not like. There are no good restaurants or shopping nearby, and I would have a 45 minute commute to work! Ugh! If I ever wanted to go out for the night, I'd have to either not partake in the drinking fun or have a place to stay for the evening.
- Loss of independence and freedom
- Dealing with the "I've taken a step backwards" mentality
- Having to tell people, "I live with my parents."
Oh, bloggers.
I just don't know what I should do.
Any advice?
I would probably live at home. Saving a bunch of money is always good and it sounds like u would have it pretty nice at your mom and dad's home. But that's just my thoughts. :)
ReplyDeleteI currently live at home (I'm just a few months away from graduation) and as of right now my plan (or my mother's plan for me) is to stay here for at least another year or so to save money to buy my own place. As much as I'd rather have my own place again, I know that I don't want to rent forever and so this is just the best option.
ReplyDeleteBut I totally understand that it's not an easy decision to make when you've lived away from home for so long. Good luck!
Well, Jenna, you should have asked me sooner! lol A few months ago I found myself living back in my childhood room, under one roof with my parents, and although it wasn't exactly my decision (nor did I have any fancy and well-thought list as you do :), all I can say that I don't regret it in the slightest! It seems to me, that you have a great relationship with your parents, so this could work perfectly! That loss of freedom and independence, that's a myth. You're an adult now, and that means that you can do what you want (travel, go out...) without having to ask for permission, even if you live with your parents again. And about that "step backwards", that's only in your head, Jenna, it's only your perception. If you make that decision, and you assume it, you can focus on the fact that you are saving up your money for future. If you concentrate on the fact that you're the "child" again, than you will feel like it, and everyone else will notice that too. But if you assume, and focus on the positive aspects, than to hell with what the others think! :) This has been my philosophy: not giving a damn about what the other people think, and focusing on the fact that I'm saving up a lot of money every month for my future. Plus, I first left my parents' house when I was 18 and I lived in three different countries ever since, so I wasn't seeing my parents that much. I'm viewing my current situation as an opportunity to catch up on that "lost" time, and enjoy my time with my parents while I can (no one know what the future holds, right?).
ReplyDeleteAll in all, I would say, give it a try. If it doesn't work for you, you can still look for your own place later!
PS: What is Rachel going to do?
xx Ivana
Macarons and Pearls
Live at home. Save up, pay off debt. You'll be glad you did in a year or two!!
ReplyDeleteI vote for living at home and giving yourself a good head start financially.
ReplyDelete