There was the working out phase, where in addition to weight lifting with a personal trainer, Ben would eat granola straight from the bag as he imagined how buff and muscular he was going to be.
Then there was the bartender phase, where Ben attended (and graduated!) bartender school. He would arrive to parties armed with a grocery bag full of supplies to make fun and creative drinks. Ben had grand dreams of owning a chic and trendy bar where everybody knew his name.
God. I miss the bartender phase. And all of those signature drinks.
But anyway, as I was driving to work this morning and having my deep Saturday morning musings, I realized that I, too, have gone through quite a few phases.
Perhaps Ben is contagious?
Having a fridge full of Vitamin Water to offer people
This summer, I read Emily Giffin's latest novel Where We Belong. In one of the book's very first scenes, one of the main characters offers her long-lost daughter a bottle of Vitamin Water. For some unknown reason, I decided then and there that I wanted to have a fridge full of Vitamin Water so I could always casually offer my guests one.
"Would you like a drink? A Vitamin Water?" I would smile, handing them a bottle of Rise or Power-C.
Again- let me emphasize, I have no explanation why this was so appealing to me.
Couscous
About eighteen months ago, I was really into couscous. I always had a container of instant couscous in my pantry and would spend my mornings in class daydreaming about what sorts of vegetables I could saute and set upon a glorious bed of couscous. I thought my little couscous creations were incredibly healthy and innovation. They were probably neither.
![]() |
| via |
BB Cream
Last spring, I read an article about how BB cream was the miracle beauty product every woman had been coveting. I did extensive research before zooming off to my local Sephora and excitedly purchasing Clinique's BB cream. I made myself believe that it was dramatically improving my skin for about three weeks before I admitted defeat and went back to my normal foundation.
![]() |
| via |
"Pretty Little Liars"
This phase was pretty recent. Last autumn, I started on a "Pretty Little Liars" kick thanks to Netflix. I would sit in front of the TV for hours on end, mindlessly clicking "Next Episode." Rachel hated this phase for multiple reasons, mostly because I was totally hogging the TV and totally zoned out to the world while I watched the show.
![]() |
| via |
I only got through the beginning of season two before this phase ended. Rachel was spending more nights away from home, and that show is way too creepy to watch in an empty apartment.
"Glad you're over that silly phase, Jenna. Watch your back. -A."
Brown Hair
For about one month a few years ago, I decided I was going to be edgy and cool and go brunette. Jill had to spend hours getting the brown dye to cover my blonde locks completely. Poor Jill.
The brown hair lasted for about one month before my unfortunate coworkers then had to spend months and months and many highlighting sessions turning me back into a blonde.
Lesson learned. I am a blonde at heart.
I am also apparently quite phase-y.




I love this post! And the Vitamin Water - what an awesome idea:) I think we all go through phases. I was in a jazz music phase for awhile here in Chicago:)
ReplyDeleteI love these phases. I'm sure I've gone through quite a few myself. :-)
ReplyDeleteAwesome post! I love reading about all your phases! I have had a few phases of my own as well. :)
ReplyDeleteI've been going through so many phases in my life that I'm not even going to try to count them! And I can assure you, I have no Ben in my life, so I must have caught it somewhere else :) I think it's only normal that we evolve, we learn new things and we leave what's not working behind. After all, I, contrary to your experience, tried the life as a blonde, and it didn't work at all! I'm back to brunette, and very happy about it :)
ReplyDeletexx Ivana
Macarons and Pearls
This is by far my favorite post!!! I think we are all guilty of phases... PLL was short lived for me too! I'm still laughing about the Vitamin water. Sounds like something I would do. I just love your blog! :)
ReplyDeleteI just love your phases.viamin water one just makes me smile! And cous cous! How hilarious you'd dream in class about it.
ReplyDeleteMy current phase is everyone is a spy phase.happens about once a year after I watch a great spy movie. Yesterday I saw two random strangers who I deemed spies and informed my gfriend her husband is prob a spy because he travels for work frequently.