Despite its cracked plastic around the keyboard, inability to update Adobe Flash Player, and archaic programs, I think it is classic and beautiful and perfect.
Unfortunately, the previously noted quirks (in addition to a few other problems, including a Friday night tumble down the stairs [AWFUL]) are making a new computer an increasingly pressing issue.
My parents agreed that they would buy me a new computer for my upcoming birthday (and Christmas) so I navigated over to Apple's website and started my research.
First, I looked at the MacBook Air.
"Hmm...no disc drive..." I observed, quickly clicking away. "I need a disc drive!"
My friend, Kenny, had suggested I take the unconventional route and choose an iMac.
The idea of having a desktop was growing on me, and I opened up its respective page on the Apple website and read more information.
"NO DISC DRIVE?" I practically shouted (dramatic, I know) when I realized that this computer, too, came without one. "But it's a desktop!"
Growing worried, I grabbed the telephone and dialed 1-800-MY-APPLE.
After a ten minute wait, I was connected to a representative.
I told him the dilemma as I explained, "I love making iMovies, and I need a disc drive. Which of your computers includes a disc drive?"
"Only one. The MacBook Pro without retina display," he told me, his voice chipper despite the dire situation.
"Why would you get rid of the disc drives?" I was numb. Blown away. Confused. Hurt. Agitated. "Why wouldn't you even include one on a desktop computer?"
"We discovered that our customers don't use the disc drives, and we got rid of them when we lowered prices," he replied, still cheerful. Still unaware of my pain. "You can purchase an external one for $79."
Here is what I wanted to say:
- Apple lowered its prices? Fine. But let's not pretend like Tim Cook is handing these out for free.
- People don't use disc drives anymore? Say what?
- Why would a person want to spend $1200 on a computer and then have to shell out an additional $79 for a disc drive?
- I am angry.
- I want to cry.
- I just want a disc drive!
Instead, I said, "Thank you for you help. Bye."
Maybe I'm showing my age here, but don't we all still use disc drives? Doesn't anyone curl up in bed and binge-watch Sex and the City from their laptop? Aren't there fellow iMovie creators out there who like to burn their works of art on DVDs?
Oh, Apple...how you further crush my soul.

Ah, I didn't know that!! I also have a 2008 macbook. :) I use Bill's Del desktop, and I love it. I mostly just like that it's a desktop. I watch TV while blogging or writing my articles. Your comment about Sex and the City reminded me that I have the whole series and need to watch them.
ReplyDeleteIt's too bad that the disc drive is an additional cost. I would see if you could get that fee waived. Wouldn't they rather have you buy their desktop and waive a $79 fee? Worth a try.
I was shocked too girl!! I just got my new pro and did get the drive--it's really not a big deal (as I was rather dramatic when Joe told me we'll just buy the extra) but I agree...who doesn't use disc drives?? I jammed out to Jillian Michaels on it already. xo
ReplyDeleteI just bought a MacBook Pro without retina display for that reason. Love my Mac, and I have to have my disc drive. So crazy that they're just tossing them out! Hope you find one that works for you!
ReplyDeleteI may be an idiot but we are talking disc drives as in where I put a CD in? I would die. I still actually buy CDs at the store because I prefer to have the entire package deal that I can physically hold in my hand and then play in my car without the painstaking process of plugging in my iPhone, which of course has a case that doesn't allow for the jack to be plugged all the way in. Silly apple.
ReplyDelete